Thread: Chest pain, is this normal?

Thanks

Default Chest pain, is this normal?

Hi y'all,

I have had chest pains off and on. Like a tightening of the chest, sometimes I even raise my left arm to help open my chest up more. Is this par for the course with Lupus? It comes and goes however, doesn't last longer than 15 minutes at a time. OK, I promise I'll quit with the question's after this next one. ;-) Do y'all have frequent twitches? I get them all of the time. I get them in my arms, legs, fingers, and eyes. It gives me a sense of relief
    when I know I'm not the only one with these symptoms. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I would suggest seeing a doctor just in case, but I get chest pain as well, right in the middle of my ribs and also right under my left breast. Laying down makes it worse too, and it can hurt pretty bad. It is a part of the lupus and it is costochondritis for me. BUT, you should still tell you doctor about this. As for the twitching, I twitch too, in my legs because I have a pinched nerve in my back, and just in general everywhere else. I don't know why, but it just happens.

Ask as many questions as you want, that is what we are here for, to try to help you as best we can and relate.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunniebun For This Useful Post:

steve.b (11-23-2011), tgal (11-28-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

remember we are not doctors, we can only comment from our own experiences,
    a lot of us have inflamation of our muscles.
    some of the bigger muscles are in the chest.

so if your chest muscles are inflammed, it will put pressure on your ribs, hurting your chest.

but in saying this........
    any chest problems should be checked by a doctor... just in case.

the twitching thing is probably the same cause.
    inflamed muscles restrict blood flow.
    restricted blood flow can cause this twitch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-23-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just want to reiterate what Steve said..please do not hesitate to bring this to the attention of your doctors. Chest pains can be due to many different things, but it is very important that you be checked by a doctor in order to determine if it is a serious matter or not.
    People with Lupus do often develop a condition known as Pericarditis (as Steve mentioned, this is inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart) which is often treated with Prednisone. However, as I mentioned before, there are many reasons that you could be having this chest pain. Please see you doctor immediately and let us know what the determination and treatment plan turns out to be. Best of luck to you!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (11-28-2011)

Thanks

Thanks y'all! I am well aware that you are not Doctors but, am just trying to understand this disease from people who have dealt with it. I go see my Rhume. soon and will talk to him about it. I have noticed that it seems to happen more so after taking my Methotrexate injection. Will keep you posted Thanks again! Jaime ;-)

Thanks

When do you see your Rheumy? Perhaps you can go to your Primary doctor to get your heart check in the mean time and then give your Rheumy the results so he can help you to sort it out.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-28-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tell your doctor the next time you go! Now i'm no professional but it is really common for people with lupus to have pleursiy-just inflammation around the lungs and chest or like Saysusie said Pericarditis is pretty common too. If your like me who only has to go when its for my normal appointment I wouldn't be freaking out yet unless it's a constant pain, like I said pretty common with lupus and if it's something worse your doctor would be able to direct you from there.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I have to reinforce what others are saying. We don't mess around with chest pain or breathing issues. Get to the doctor ASAP. It is common for us to have issues in those areas but they need to be diagnosed before we just ignore those kind of pains/
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-28-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, see a doctor... I waited a week or so and went to a walk-in clinic, which sent me to the hospital cause they could not figure it out. Turned out I had pnuemonia. To this day I do not know if lupus flare caused pnuemonia or vice versa. But it is better to get it checked sooner rather than later.
    Everyday holds the possibility of a Miracle

SLE, Nephritis, Raynaud's, previous ITP
    Plaquenil, baby aspirin, Flinstones vitamins