Thread: Sores on palms- just venting

Thanks

Default Sores on palms- just venting

Hi everyone,
    I am a 21 year old junior in college. I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1999. I was born with Sickle Cell Anemia, so it was difficult to diagnose the lupus when I first got sick. Before I start to vent let me tell you something good. I know I am blessed. After almost 7 years with lupus- I am not on any meds, besides my pain meds and those are only occasional. I am in school, getting ready to graduate. Lupus slowed me down, but it didnt stop me.

For some time now I've had sores on my hands that open up and bleed. My hands hurt so bad that I haveto take pain meds and I am unable to do anything until I get relief. The pain comes and goes and I've been good for a bit, but today it was a bit much much. I've been to other sites and i've never met anyone who shared this symptom so I've always felt a bit lonely- but I understand that lupus affects everyone differently.

I am trying not to complain to anyone because the Lord has brought me back a looooong way and I remeber how bad things were and I know how bad they could get. And I am very grateful- but sometimes I just want to vent when the lupus gets to be a bit much.

I want to thank the moderators and creators of support sites like this becasue they provide not only information but a forum for support and a place for safe katharsis (such as venting). So thank you- and thanks for "listening"

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi SHystee999:
    Have your doctors ever mentioned eczema, psoriasis or vasculitis?

Vasculitis is common in lupus patients. The symptoms of vasculitis that affects the skin are lesions such as: Red or purple dots ("petechiae"), usually most numerous on the legs. When the spots are larger, about the size of the end of a finger, they are called "purpura." Some look like large bruises. These are the most common vasculitis skin lesions, but hives, itchy lumpy rash, and painful or tender lumps can occur. Areas of dead skin can appear as ulcers (open, red, raw), small black spots at the ends of the fingers or around the fingernails and toes ("nail fold infarcts"), or gangrene of fingers or toes.
    Vasculitis can also cause pain, aching in joints and a frank arthritis with pain, swelling and heat in joints.
    I don't know if any of these fit what you describe. In any case, you should continue to have your doctor look at your hands to find a cause and a treatment!
    I wish you the best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I see a derm in Philly who specializes in lupus and she hasn't mentioned any of the diseases you mentioned. The spots and pains come and go, but I will bring it up again.