Thread: Already went to the ER; do I just wait to see my doctor now?

Thanks

Default Already went to the ER; do I just wait to see my doctor now?

Hi everyone,

So it's been about two months since I was diagnosed and started the plaquenil and while I've noticed improvement in some symptoms (my muscle pain is all but gone!), I've started having chest pains. It got so bad that I ended up going to the ER. They did an EKG, a chest x-ray and a CT scan. The doctor said all the tests came back normal. My heart rate was 'a little high', they said, but they weren't terribly concerned. One of the doctors suggested it might be Costochondritis, but they didn't officially diagnose anything, just said it wasn't my heart or lungs and sent me home. (I live in Canada, where the health care system is free, but under A LOT of pressure, so I know they work hard to get people in and out as fast as possible to free up beds and doctors for other patients. With chest pain, I still had to wait eight hours in the emergency room to see a doctor.)

I'm just not sure what to do now. My next appointment with my rheumatologist isn't until February. Should I wait that long or should I call and try to make an earlier appointment? Since I've already gone to the ER and they said everything came back normal, I'm at a loss. I still feel like something is wrong, but I'm also a big time hypochondriac and have been for most of my life, so I'm never sure how much of this is in my head and how much of it is real.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. You guys are great.

Leah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you have a GP you can go and see? If it is Costochondritis it won't harm you, it is just very painful, but waiting 2 and a half months may be too long if you want more of an answer.

By the way, it's not in your head, it's real, because I deal with it too.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunniebun For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (11-22-2011)

Thanks

I do have an appointment with my GP in two weeks. I'm only wondering if I should bring it up with my rheumatologist instead because he and my GP don't seem to communicate, which is a little frustrating. I'll definitely wait to see her and bring it up there and if she can't seem to help me, I'll try and push up my appointment.

Thank you.

Thanks

Normally you would follow up with your GP after an ER appt. Here the ERs send their notes of the ER visit to the GP on record; if you do not have a GP they can send to, they will suggest someone to follow up with as part of the discharge procedure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Manderson For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (11-22-2011)

Thanks

Thank you! Hopefully they did this, as I have an appointment with my GP in two weeks. I've just been disappointed by the communication between my doctors before, but I'll hope for the best this time and insist she obtain she records if they haven't done it for me.

Thanks again.

Thanks

My doctors have been bad about talking to one another, too, so I take the bull by the horns and send copies of tests and office visit notes back and forth myself. I also bring up any problems I am having, whether I saw the other doctor or not. Your rheumy should know about the chest pain, even if the GP dismisses it. If I were in your shoes, I would type up a note letting both doctors know what happened in the ER and how much you are hurting and fax it to both (then they get the whole story and not whatever part of the story the nurse/medical assistant thinks is important). It's their job to figure this stuff out, and 2 weeks is a long time to wait and wonder.

I have a LOT of chest pain, too, and my cardiologist said that they are finding that lupus patients can have spasms of the tiny arteries that go through the heart muscle. Because they are tiny, it doesn't lead to a heart attack, but it can be debilitating if it keeps you from doing your normal activities. Pericarditis and pleurisy are other conditions associated with lupus that can cause chest pain. Pleurisy hurts when you breath and pericarditis is often worse when you lay down. Both are usually treated with anti-inflammatories and sometimes steroids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

leah21 (12-20-2011)