Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lupus and Fibromyalgia?

Thanks

Default Lupus and Fibromyalgia?

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right thread, but here goes.

Does anyone have both Lupus and Fibromyalgia? What was your experience with getting to a diagnosis?

I'm asking because my doctor put me on prednisone to try and eliminate Lupus. The prednisone helped with my joint pain and swelling when nothing else did, but I still have a lot of muscle pain, an achey/sick feeling, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, stomach pain, insomnia and joint stiffness when I lay or sit in a certain position too long.

I'm just confused. I thought the prednisone would have helped a lot more. I'm worried too about what other tests I'll have to do, what other medications I'll have to try (because I always get sick when I start a new one), and whether or not I'll actually get a diagnosis. My doctor is fantastic and has helped a lot, but that doesn't calm my nerves.

Thank you in advance to whoever responds! I greatly appreciate it!

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
    Ty
    "Kindness is just love with its work boots on"...

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." Abraham Lincoln

Thanks

Hi Ty,

I do have Lupus, Fibro and RA.
    Since Lupus and Fibro can cause muscle pain, it is hard to pin point which is which.
    When I was on MTX, most of my muscle pain was gone, but the muscle pain from the Fibro stayed.
    I am refusing to take Anti Depression drugs, don't ask me why, I just do. Maybe because I know, that I am not depressed.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

NaturalMystic (11-16-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

you will find many of us are diagnosed with both disorders.

remember we are not doctors, but we can talk about what works for us.

the best person to talk to is your rhuematologist.

for me, what works best is a combination of:
    anti inflamitories ( celebrex)
    pain killers (panadol osteo)
    lubricants (fish oil)
    magnesium
    and anti depressant (endep)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

NaturalMystic (11-16-2011)

Thanks

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for responding! And thank you for sharing your experience with MTX. It's helping me understand a lot better. I thought I was going bonkers because I still have pain. I tried to deny it for a few days, but when doing simple things like trying fixing a sandwich feels like a workout, I can't deny I hurt.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take Anti-Depression drugs! I wouldn't want to take them either! I read a lot of other members had a lot of negative effects because of taking them

Thank you again!

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
    Ty
    Last edited by NaturalMystic; 11-16-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks

Hi Steve.Bryce!

Thank you for responding!

Wow, really? I haven't been on here long enough to know a lot of people. I saw a thread with one person who has both, but didn't want to send a message to her alone as I wanted to hear from other people as well.

Sorry, I didn't know how to ask my question. I was wondering what everyone's experiences were and what helps them? I've only just started my journey and am a little worried about what's to come. I was surprised to find out a person could have both (?).

I don't have a Rheumatologist yet. I just got medical coverage so now my PCP can refer me to someone. Hopefully he/she is as good as my PCP!

Thank you again for responding!

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
    Ty

Thanks

Hi there NaturalMystic. Don't be too worried about taking anti-depressants. As with most medication, it's a matter of finding the one for you (if one is prescribed), since they all tend to work differently with different persons. It sometimes takes a while to find the dosage that works best also. Most times, it'll be low-dose. My doc prescribes for me at the "normal" level that a person with "classic" depression would get (I can't remember the name of it just now, but it's a form of Wellbutrin...), so that my insurance covers it, then I "cut" the pill into fourths for my doseage. What it does, is "slow" me down a bit, allowing my muscles to relax a bit, taking the strain off the joints - or so it seems. Also, I don't "care" about the pain as much, which is less of a worry. Every little bit helps. It's easier to deal with an anti-depressant for me, than it is to be knocked silly by a muscle relaxer, especially where I work...
    Last edited by jmail; 11-16-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: wow, was that my typing?...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

NaturalMystic (11-16-2011), steve.b (11-16-2011)

Thanks

Hi jmail,

Thank you for responding! I see your point on anti-depressants. I'm currently taking muscle relaxers when needed, but I'm like you - they knock me silly. I can't work or do much of anything when I take them. All I'm good for is for taking a nap. It would be nice to not "care" about the pain as much as I always seem to worry about doing something that could make me feel more pain. Hearing your experience with what you're taking makes me less worried. Thank you I'll be a lot more open the next time I see my doctor.

Blessings, Love & Aloha,
    Ty

Thanks

I am still fairly new with all of this Lupus stuff but I am currently taking meds for Lupus and now my pain management doctor is giving me meds for Fibromyalgia type pain. I am starting to see a difference. It is hard for me to always tell what is going on with me but the one thing I am learning is to ask lots of questions and not feel bad about it. I am pretty exhausted tonight so this may be no help at all but I am really glad to hear from you.

Melanie

Thanks

I also have both, Its horrible! Im on Cymbalta for pain and mild depression and gabapantin. Im not sure they are working. Im always in pain and so stiff, especially in the mornings. What do you guys take for fibro pain?

Thanks

hello
    I have both, I had lupus first then Fibro. The cold weather kill's me. I try warm bath and I am getting a warming blanket. This is a wonderful group, I haven't been online in a long time. Not in a great places :-( Good luck and keep us posted.

Liz
    Diagnosed with SLE Lupus May 2nd 2011. I am taken Plaquenil, Pain Killers, muscle relaxers.