Thread: Lupus and school/work

Thanks

Default Lupus and school/work

Until my first flare up, I was a full time college student with a 6 class semester workload as well as a volunteer job in a classroom. Then lupus hit me like a truck and I can't even drive because the pain in my fingers is so bad. I was wondering how other people deal with school and/or work. Is there a hope for me getting back to it or does it vary from person to person?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Alloweyo :lol:
    There are quite a few members who are struggling with lupus while trying to keep their jobs. So, I am sure many of them can truly empathize with you.
    Have you contacted your school's Disabled Student Union? I know you are not disabled, but you may qualify for assistance through your school. All schools have to offer assistance to students with illnesses and/or disabilities (such as note takers for classrooms, on-line courses etc.!) The schools want you to succeed as much as you do. Contact your school to see what types of assistance you can get so that you can continue your education. You might be surprised at what they are willing to offer to help you!

Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

I had a note taker, but I can't even drive right now. It hurts to push the pedal and hold the steering wheel. Unfortunatly, there's no public transportation around. I'd really like to look at getting a job at home. My dream has always been to become a high school teacher, however, I can't be so unreliable.

Thanks

Welcome, dear. Many of us here, as SaySusie mentioned, hold jobs. Some of us hold jobs and take classes, some of us are full time students. It is a balancing act, always, and some days you have to let the lupus take the main stage - those days you rest, and don't feel guilty about it.

Do talk to the ADA Coordinator at your campus, they need to know you have lupus and that you're in a flare right now. They'll help you, with note takers, or recording devices, or other means. Don't be afraid to ask - that's what they're THERE for!

Give yourself room and time to heal, rest. Read up on "the spoon theory" on www.butyoudontlooksick.com , it will help you explain to others that you're low on energy and need some support on any given day.

Don't give up on your dreams, dear, there are many ways to teach and many ways to learn. It could be this shift in direction will help you become a fabulous teacher, reaching out to those who are challenged in other ways.

Many hugs,

Thanks

Thank you. That was one of the sweetest most inspirational message I've gotten since I started feeling rotton. And you're right, I should take something positive away from this experience and use it to better our future. You've given me a brilliant idea. I assure you, I'll be at this forum for a while and I will let you know how school and work goes. Maybe I'll change from english to ESE. Thank you, thank you thank you!

Thanks

i'm a full-time college student and i think i have some of the same challenges as you. i've been really lucky with professors allowing me to miss classes and make up assignments and exams. this semester i'm doing 18 credits of independent study so that i can research and do stuff from bed. and i have a work study job where my boss lets me do filing at odd hours whenever i feel up to it.

and please do call your disabilities coordinator at your school. they have so many resources.