Thread: Raynauds Symptoms

Thanks

Default Raynauds Symptoms

Do any of you who have Raynauds experience it as a cold nose? I have been diagonsed with Raynauds and do get it in my hands and feet. I also have experienced a very cold nose - so severe at times that it hurts in the middle of my forehead. I have had this sensation periodically for years but did not think about Raynauds until this past week when I woke up during the night with my nose freezing and a headache. The symptoms (for me at least) take place regardless of season and temperature. I am curious and would like to know if anyone else has had this type of experience with Raynauds. In my research into Raynauds I did read that the nose can be affected as well as the digits on hands and feet but the material did not explain how Raynauds manifests when the nose is involved. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Thanks

I've only had this happen to me very few times but I have seen online also that it can affect the nose. If its troublesome and continues I would ask your doctor if there is a way for you to help this problem as Im not sure how to keep your nose itself warm lol I do hope someone comes along with better advice.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ritzbit View Post
    I've only had this happen to me very few times but I have seen online also that it can affect the nose. If its troublesome and continues I would ask your doctor if there is a way for you to help this problem as Im not sure how to keep your nose itself warm lol I do hope someone comes along with better advice.
    It is comforting to know that someone else knows what I am talking about. Warming up the nose is not easy! LOL At night I can cover it with a blanket and it eventually warms up. During the day at work is very different though. Thankfully I don't have the symptom everyday, it comes and goes in waves. Thank you for sharing - have a blessed weekend!

Thanks

Happens to me for sure! I jokes last week I need a nose warmer....Something which by the way my highschool calculus teacher actually owned so I know they exist but would never wear as they really! My theory as to why is just because these are all regions where the "distal" (Far) end of nerve/arterial vessel endings are (hands, feet, tip of nose).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bunny28 For This Useful Post:

Lightworker (11-07-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunny28 View Post
    Happens to me for sure! I jokes last week I need a nose warmer....Something which by the way my highschool calculus teacher actually owned so I know they exist but would never wear as they really! My theory as to why is just because these are all regions where the "distal" (Far) end of nerve/arterial vessel endings are (hands, feet, tip of nose).
    I know how you feel about the nose warmer! LOL My husband keeps telling me to crochet one and wear it...I should make it for him. I do seem to recall seeing them a few decades ago though. I think your theory sounds logical. When this happens to me, I don't see an obvious discoloration of my nose. Do you see any visible signs when this happens to you? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

It's not so much the outside of my nose that gets cold as it is the inside (if that makes any sense at all, lol). We just started with our cold weather down here (coastal Mississippi) and I cringe just knowing that more cold weather is ahead of us. The Raynauds & Sjogrens team up and give me a cold nose with a lining so dry that it literally becomes painful to breathe. Seriously, it's awful. It's like I can feel the entire breath - from where it starts in the nasal passage all the way to my lungs and back - and it burns the entire way. If I have to go out somewhere during the winter, I have to keep my nose covered (and i do it in the frozen food section of the grocery even during the summer) or I can't breathe. I have those "shake and heat" hand warmers and face masks that I always keep with me; if I have to I can shake one, put it in the mask and then put it on for a few moments at a time. It gives me warm air to breathe and always warms up the skin on the outside of my nose. I might look a little strange but it beats not breathing, lol.

Hope you're having a great weekend, Robin

Thanks

Y'know, I am newly diagnosed (Lupus, Sjogren's, APS, Raynaud's) and never would have thought to connect it, but YES, dangit...I get that too!!!! I always thought I was part dog, L O L....

And I totally know what you mean about feeling the air go in and out...HATE that. It's SO much worse when we visit family in New England in winter where it's very cold and very dry...out here in the NW it doesn't get as cold, and it's nice and moist, which helps a lot (at least with the sensitivity from dryness).

Huh...ya learn something new every day!!!

Thanks

Oh jeez, this is a revelation. My nose gets real cold too and it sometimes stings. Also, the tip gets real red. I never thought about Raynaud's before. But it makes sense. When my hands get cold at least I can stick them up my hubby's sweatshirt....it's only momentary but it feels soooooo good. Can't do that with a nose. At least it's not wet like a dog nose......