Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a flare or the flu?

Thanks

Default Is it a flare or the flu?

Three days after coming back from my Texas vacation, I started to get sick. I had mostly a bad dry cough, fever, aching joints and very painful skin, I could not touch my skin, it hurt so much.
    So I thought, it's the flu, drank alot of fluids, took over the counter cough medicine and went to work, feeling like I am going to die.
    Feeling a little better now, but far from feeling good.
    Yesterday I went to get my blood checked, because of my high liver enzynes, today my rheumy called, telling me that my platelets a very low. That makes me think, that it might be a flare, as we all know,
    a flare feels like you have the flu.
    I am going to see the rheumy on monday.
    What do you guys think, flu or flare?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Debbie, I have no idea which it is - maybe it was the flu, which caused a flare. In any event, you've had a whole lot going on lately, and the stress could make you more vulnerable to either the flu or a flare. Glad to hear you will see your rheumy on Monday. In the meantime, be very careful with knives, razors and any other sharp objects and don't climb any ladders with your low platelet count.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (11-04-2011)

Thanks

The rheumy called back again yesterday and he said that he thinks, that it is a flare, because of inflammatory markers, or something like that.
    In his opinion the lupus is attacking the liver and the blood.
    He is going to give me a steriod shot into my butt, that always helps, to get me through the brunt of the flare.
    The newest think I have with this flare is, terrible headaches, where nothing helps.
    My eyes and throat( not mouth) are very dry, my eyes burn all the time, even with eye drops.
    I have to work all weekend, 12-8 today and 7am-4pm tomorrow.ugh

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Ugh indeed! Sending good thoughts your way, Debbie. I wish there was a magic wand for you that didn't need a needle in the butt to work.

Thanks

With me, I found that I will start to get the cold or virus and turns quickly into a flare. So, I always tell my friends, "I love you dearly, but, if are sick or if you think you might be, please see me when not sick." Most of them are really understanding about it.

Thanks

That is what happened to me, I found out that I had the flu, which turned into bronchitis ( it always does). After taking the anti biotics, cough syrup and Symbecort ( for lung support), I felt a little better. But than I ran right into a bad flare, which is still going on.

Debbie

Thanks

Glad you are recovering from the flu and bronchitis, but sorry about the flare. Hang in there!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Glad you are feeling better but I know it takes time. I have a question though...

Has anyone ever said that you have fibro as well as Lupus? "I could not touch my skin, it hurt so much". Many of us with fibro have that issue when it is acting up. Some of my worst flares (this one for example) are with my Lupus and my firbro decide to flare at the same time.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (11-30-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Glad you are feeling better but I know it takes time. I have a question though...

Has anyone ever said that you have fibro as well as Lupus? "I could not touch my skin, it hurt so much". Many of us with fibro have that issue when it is acting up. Some of my worst flares (this one for example) are with my Lupus and my firbro decide to flare at the same time.
    Hi tgal,

Yes, I do have Fibro as well as Lupus and RA. But when my skin hurts from the Fibro it feels different.
    I have tissue problems because of the Lupus, according to my rheumy. When I say my skin hurts, I really mean that it is a deep tissue pain, it's kind of hard to explain.

Debbie

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melodyroseak View Post
    With me, I found that I will start to get the cold or virus and turns quickly into a flare.
    Melody,

That's exactly what happens with me.

Debbie,

I hope you get to feeling better soon. Flu or flare, it sucks either way.

Rob