Thread: Successful Trip to San Francisco

Thanks

Red face Successful Trip to San Francisco

Hi Friends,
    We've just gotten back from a trip to San Francisco. I saw my otolaryngologist, and had my botox shot for my vocal cords, so I'll not be talking a lot for a week or so. Dr. Courey was the one who suggested that the spasticity in my legs was a dystonia, just like the Spasmodic Dysphonia is a dystonia of my vocal cords.
    I told him about the neurologist telling me that I had nothing wrong with my muscles, the rheumy being baffled and the PCM calling me a hypochondriac - then I pulled up my pants leg and showed him (and a few students) my calf muscle. He said that it was obviously spasming. (No duh, there was an indentation in the side of my calf!)
    He immediately grabbed the paperwork and wrote a referral to the movement disorder clinic at UCSF. He also made sure that his secretary faxed it over to them and talked to them while I was there. I should be getting a call from them soon. Hopefully, I can get some answers about my muscle problems.
    I already know that I definitely have Sjogren's and probably a few other AI issues, and the plaquenil seems to be helping those. Now I would just like to have some validation and answers about the muscle spasms and pain - Is it a symptom of SJS, or is Dr. Courey right, and is it a form of Spastic Paraplegia?

We had some fun on our trip, too. We took Conner, my new service dog, with us. We wandered around Japan Town and had some great sushi for lunch. Conner was great, and people were thrilled with him. We took him to a park near the famous Haight-Ashbury neighborhood so that he could have a potty break. There were lots of hippie-types there, and many of them had dogs. I was pleasantly surprised that all of their dogs were well-behaved. We checked into our motel and wandered around the corner to the Italian restaurant that we love for a nice romantic dinner. Conner curled up and slept under the table. People at the next table were surprised when we stood up to leave - they didn't realize that there was a big dog right next to them! We had a pleasant drive home this morning, and Conner thrilled people at the bookstore when we made our halfway stop in Gilroy. I'm really lucky - he is a wonderful traveler and has perfect manners. He's easier to travel with than the kids used to be!
    Hugs to all,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i am glad the doctor took you serious.

the students got a little more learning than they expected by the sounds of it.

Thanks

Marla, I'm so happy to hear your visit was both productive and enjoyable. How awesomely lucky you are to be that close to SF. I got to live there for about a year after college, and I did indeed leave my heart there. Was the park you went to Buena Vista? If so, you were only steps away from my old baby blue appartment at Waller and Central. And sushi! Man, I miss sushi! I have yet to get up the courage (or stupidity?) to try any raw fish here in the very middle of the country.

I wanted to tell you I love your posts. They're so vividly detailed. I already feel like I know Conner, and feel a slight bubble of Auntie pride when you talk about how well he's doing, and how impressed strangers are. : )

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Marla, I'm so glad you had a great trip. I too miss SF. I live there in Pacifica for 2 years and it miss the food also. Thank goodness your doctor there is a man of action! So glad for you and Connor. I love having my cat with me and she knows when I'm having bad times. She stays with me instead of going out to explore.

Big Hugs

Thanks

Finally, a successful trip (or at least it sounds like the start if it).

I hope that this referral brings you a diagnosis and, more importantly, relief from your pain.

So happy to hear that Connor is such a great traveling companion. His trainers did a great job with him and he's going to be such a well deserved asset for you--yeah!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

steve.b (10-31-2011)

Thanks

Hi BonusMom,
    Yes, I'm pretty proud of Conner's trainer too, since she's my youngest daughter! She originally trained him to be her demo dog when she was teaching puppy classes, and she has had him perfectly trained for years. It was easy for her to train him for my needs. He caught onto "hold" very quickly. He stiffens his body as we go up or down curbs or steps so that I can steady myself on him. He even comes to "hold" next to the tub and helps me out after my shower!
    Love & Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hey Sharpie & Nonna,
    I truly love San Francisco. It is such a fun city to explore.
    The park that we went to is the huge one that the hospital on Parnassus overlooks - I don't know the name. We parked right at the entrance to the park that is at the intersection where Haight meets Stanyon. We love to wander around the Haight-Ashbury area. We're a couple of old hippies at heart.
    We always stay at the Days Inn on Grove, in Hayes Valley. It's right down the street from the Civic Center and the theater district. There are some wonderful shops, restaurants and bars right around the corner, in easy walking (hobbling) distance.
    Nonna - I have a sweet cat like yours, too. Now I'm spending my evenings with Casper curled up against me purring and Conner lying at my feet. Luckily, Jeff also has his lapcat, Dax.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

hi marla i am glad your trip went well and you got some time to enjoy yourself your dog sounds wonderful . you always amaze me with how you manage to get around you my friend are an inspiration to us all hugs

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kim,l For This Useful Post:

magistramarla (10-31-2011)