Thread: Just a few questions

Thanks

Default Just a few questions

Hello everyone! My name is Kristin and I am going thru a bit of a health crisis and was hoping some could answer a few questions. Last week, my left knee filled up with fluid. I went to see my Orthopedic Surgeon, I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and recently both a cortisone and a synvisc injection, did nothing for the pain. He said the knee was full of fluid and suggested we remove it and look at it. When he removed the fluid, it was yellow and cloudy and he indicated this was a sign of an autoimmune disorder. He sent me home with a script for labwork and an M.R.I.. I was barely in the door from the appointment when all the fluid returned and then some. By the end of the evening, the right knee was full and by the morning, I could barely walk. I went to the E.R. and they wouldn't touch it and basically just echoed the concerns my Orthopedic surgeon had, I have a systemic autoimmune disease. They gave me painkillers and prednisone and sent me home. Later that week, my Orthopedic surgeon's office called me and told me I needed to come in immediately. I came in and here is what they said: I have a positive ANA speckled pattern 1:640, an extremely low lymphocete count of 9.0, and low mono count of 1.8, elevated Gran's of 87.0, and a very high CRP of 0.76. He mentioned Lupus specifically as the fluid attacked both joints. My father has RA, however, the Orthopedic surgeon indicated RA typically hits smaller joints like hands, fingers and toes. I see a Rheumatologist next week and am extremely fatigued. It takes all I have to make it thru a day at work and my joints ache. I also have extremely discolored eyelids and have had for some time and very recently I developed ulcers in the roof of my mouth. I guess my question is, is it possible to not have an autoimmune disorder with an ANA that high? I hope so!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

hi Kristin, and welcome

yes it is possible to have an extremely high ana and not have an auto immune disease.
    the opposite is also possible, to have the disease and not have it show on the ana test.

ana stands for anti nuclear antibody.
    any form of virus or infection can and often do inflate the ana score.

in saying that, an auto immune disorder does also sound realistic, given the full list of symptoms.
    but we are not doctors, and can not diagnose .... so please go to your rheumatologist appointment.

sorry there is no clear set of guidelines to use .... auto immune means it reacts without assistance ....
    so all the normal rules are out the door.

please keep us informed as to your diagnosis and possible treatment.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (11-03-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Given your high ANA along with the other tests and the symptoms that you are displaying, please do not be devastated if the prognosis is, indeed, an auto-immune disorder. As Steve said, we cannot diagnose, but realistically, you should prepare yourself for just such a diagnosis. If it is, please come back to us so that we can help you understand the diagnosis, so that we can offer you support, information, and provide you with comfort. I wish you the very best and please keep us posted.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!