Thread: Scalp pain???

Thanks

Default Scalp pain???

I know this sounds weird...but does anyone have a sore scalp? It was really itchy for a while (a month or two) ...now my scalp feels bruised...(like I had a really tight ponytail all day and took it out..) it is on the top of my head (crown) only. Is this just weird me thing?Junebug

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Junebug:
    Have you noticed any lesions or bumps on your scalp? Lupus has been known to cause scalp lesions which can be red, scaly and can cause soreness, rash, or red, scaly bumps. Check your scalp to see if you have any signs of redness, pimples or red scaly bumps. If so, make sure that you let your doctor know so that you can begin treatment. The rashes may respond to a group of medications usually used to treat malaria (such as plaquenil).

Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default itchy scalp

YES! I have had the same exact thing.. it hurt to even brush my hair.. there were no bumps there or anything though.. i did start to loose my hair in one spot though.. the doctor put me on prednisone and that seemed to help.. right now though i am suffering from itchyness in the back of my head.. there is NOTHING there it just itches and itches..and its only the lower back part of my head.. i changed shampoos etc...i haven't called the doctor though.. guess I should! but yes call your doctor.. i had the same thing happen to me a few months ago!

Take Care!

Thanks

My scalp often hurts. I get scaly lesions that cause soreness but don't itch. I wish I could say what I have is dandruff but it's not really flaky, it more like small pencil eraser sized scabs. It hasn't bothered me enough to bring up to the doctor for fear of more meds.

Regarding itchiness, bloomer519, I had the same thing in the back of my head. I tried switching shampoos as well. Then I read that most shampoos have sulfates in them to make them lather. I am very sensitive to anything with "sulfur, sulfate, sulfite, etc" in it. So I switched to a sulfate free shampoo, JASON, and haven't had the problem since.

Thanks

Default itchy scalp

do you think though that if it was the shampoo my whole head would itch!? why just the back of my head??? do you think my body all of the sudden is rejecting this ingrediant after using it my whole life?

Thanks

I've had itchy bumps on the back of my head for as long as I can remember. I really don't think this is connected. The itchy bumps wax and wane with shampoos...so I think that is just common dermatitis of some kind...The new pain is on the crown...(and again...seemed to begin as intense itching, now itching is gone)just above where a real crown would sit, where the skull bones curve. No lesions that I can tell, and as far as I know...I'm not losing hair...I have the thickest hair of just about anyone I have ever met...so It would take a lot for me to see a difference. My normal hairloss when I shower is about the amount of hair my poor mother has on her whole head! Is there a clinical name for this? Should I tell my Rheummy? This happened along side a cycle related flare. I am on Plaquenil, so it obviously doesn't work on this...If it is even Lupus related...Junebug

Thanks

Default Re: itchy scalp

Quote Originally Posted by bloomer519
    do you think though that if it was the shampoo my whole head would itch!? why just the back of my head??? do you think my body all of the sudden is rejecting this ingrediant after using it my whole life?
    My problems with the sulfates came on pretty suddenly after using normal shampoo all of my life. Every body is different. Rather suddenly I became very sensitive to a huge variety of chemicals in cleaners, car exhaust, beauty products, food additives, etc. I was originally diagnosed with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, later to find out that this sensitivity is secondary to the Lupus. I have heard of people developing rather sudden food intolerances from Lupus, so a sudden reaction to a shampoo ingredient can't be too out of the question.

However, the only way to get a more definitive answer is to ask your doctor. I know there are ointments that you can apply to your scalp to help with the itching: Scalpacin is one. I don't know if it works but it might be worth trying. Good Luck.

Thanks

I've had that bruised feeling on and off for quite awhile but I never thought to check or have anyone check for lesions. But I know exactly what you're talking about. Washing & brushing my hair really hurts when I'm having this problem. It's not all of the time...it comes and goes. But I've never connected it to lesions. Haven't had the itching but I have had the pain.

I hope you find something that helps!

Thanks

yes..I have this I posted yesteday a whole topic..calling it skull pain..it feels like bruising...frustrating!! I have had it for two days
    Christine
    current Dx UCTD, (likely SLE)
    meds, Topomax (neuropathy), Planquinil, synthroid, Athsma meds, current 7mg of steroid, Muscle relaxor for pm foot cramps (prn), Lexapro.