Thread: Hello there

Thanks

Default Hello there

My name is Linda. I have recently been diagnosed with SLE and also RA. I live in WV and have to travel to VA for medical care. I am also a type 1 diabetic. The doctor started me on Plaquenil. It does seem to be taking care of the rash. However the rash comes and goes with the flares. He has also put injections in my hands. I have been reading the forums on here for a while and I want to tell you all how much help you were to me. I am really concerned with the Plaquenil since it weakens your immune system. I don't think I would worry as much if I wasn't already Type 1. However this site is so much help to me. God Bless You All !

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

hi linda, i am glad you decided to join.

remember everybody reacts differently to lupus.....
    and to the medications.

most of us have no problems with plaquinel.
    but some do.

please talk to your doctor about your concerns.

again welcome.

Thanks

Welcome Linda,

I agree with you. This site is so helpful.

I also have to travel to see my doctor. We have two rheumatologists in the city where I live, but they have long waiting lists and bad reputations. So I travel about an hour and a half. For now it's OK because I'm in fairly good health, but I do worry what will happen if I get really sick.

Take care of yourself, and welcome.
    brenda

Thanks

Hi Linda and welcome! It's great to meet you!

I've been on Plaquenil for 5 years now and I did have stomach problems for the first few weeks but it passed. Regarding the weakened immune system ~ yep, that's a worry but I'm just really careful during flu season (avoid obviously sick people and kids with runny noses, lol) and always get my flu & pneumonia vaccines. I always try to avoid situations where I know that there's a possibility of illness (i.e. hospitals, doctor's office waiting rooms) and during the winter (flu season) I don't hug at church. And I use lots and lots of hand sanitizer, lol. I used to work with the Youth at my church but gave it up for this very reason: I got the flu one year and it turned into 6 weeks of pure hell. Just be smart & careful and you'll do fine.

Again, welcome, and i look forward to talking with you more!

Robin

Thanks

hi linda and welcome to whl i dinot have reaction from other than it has affected my eyesight i have to have regular field tests on eyes every 3 months my reactions came from mexotrexate different drugs affect all of us in different ways

Thanks

Welcome Linda. I was on Plaquinil for 12 years and rarely got sick. It is the most "benign" of the lupus drugs, for most people. My daughter's rheumy once said she thought it should be in the drinking water since it helps so many autoimmune problems. There was a thread a while back about some people having lower blood sugars on Plaquinil, so keeping a close eye on your glucose levels is probably a good idea until you know how your body will react.

Thanks

Hi Linda, I'm new here also, and I have fibro and lupus and I'm type2 diabetic on insulin. I don't take any meds for lupus as I'm a bit concerned about the side effects. Keep us up to date with how the meds are helping, hopefully they do.