Thread: Mom was a hoarder

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Mom was a hoarder

Hey everyone: I am so sorry that I've not had any happy posts lately. It's been a tough year. Lupus wise, I'm doing ok. Lupus hates my joints more than any other part of me but I feel I'm doing remarkably well all things considered in that area.

I have, however, come to the realization that Mom was a hoarder. I didn't want to admit it because she was "as bad" as the people you see on the hoarders tv shows, but she was a hoarder nonetheless. She moved to Montana in 2004 and I don't think she threw out a single piece of mail. I'm finding boxes and bags of opened mail everywhere. Bags of empty cat food cans. Several bottles of unopened laundry detergent and other cleaning supplies (oh the irony). Tons of books and magazines. Dozens of unopened embroidery kits. And don't get me started on the dozens upon dozens of sheets. I could go on and on but you get the idea. We will be having an "estate" sale in a few weeks. This is Montana, hopefully winter stays away until I'm done with it. Fingers crossed.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Rita,
    I feel your pain. I went through this several years ago when my mother passed. She had lived in the same house since 1956. I found that she had stopped using dishes, and was eating off of styrofoam trays, which she stashed in cabinets without washing. I had to clean out the house by myself and get it ready to sell. My hubby then flew there to join me and we drove a U-haul from Illinois to Texas.
    We did the same thing all over again in 2006 when his mother passed in Florida. At least she wasn't a hoarder, but it was a tough job to have to accomplish.
    I hope that the winter gives you a break.
    Hugs,
    Marla

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

ruziska (10-19-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

my sister was strongly into sewing and cake decorating.
    she rented a 4 bedroom house.
    3 rooms full of "stuff"
    you could not move the door on those rooms.

we ordered a skip bin, but ended up using 3 of them.

it does not make the cleaning any easier, but i also understand your pain.