Thread: Pressure change in head/vertigo/drop in blood pressure?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Pressure change in head/vertigo/drop in blood pressure?

Hi all,

First, thanks again for the welcome. I've been reading a lot of posts here, gathering information, getting used to the diagnosis. I can't lie, a little part of me keeps expecting the rheumatologist to call back and tell me he made a mistake. Obviously I haven't totally accepted this just yet, but I'm getting there.

I just had a question about a random symptom I've been experiencing off and on. At first I thought it was vertigo: the pressure in my head felt like it changed (like I was in an airplane, but my ears didn't pop) and everything sounded like it was very far away before my face got extremely warm and it all started to fade. The more research I do, though, the more it seems like it was a drop in my blood pressure. I've also had some tingling in my face that comes and goes. I mentioned it to my rheumatologist yesterday and he said we'd keep an eye on it, but that when the tingling is associated with Lupus, it's usually limited to one side of the face and is pretty constant. The pressure change he didn't seem too concerned about.

I think the tingling might be anxiety related, but the pressure change was really strange. It's only happened twice and only within the past week. I'm just wondering if anything similar happens to anyone else.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

yes i have also experienced it.
    i have spoken to my doctors, suggesting that i was able to "feel" the blood pressure difference.
    i was told that it is impossible to feel that minor a change.
    i still know what i feel.

my lupus mainly effects my blood, so i believe it is related.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

BlueBertie (04-03-2012)

Thanks

I have Meniere's syndrome, which causes that odd "pressurized" feeling and vertigo. I also hear strange sounds, like I'm in the middle of a hearing test. I would suggest that you see an ENT to rule it out. My rheumy told me that mine is most likely autoimmune inner ear disease.
    Hugs,
    Marla

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

BlueBertie (04-03-2012), steve.b (10-19-2011)

Thanks

I'm definitely going to make an appointment with my doctor to see what she says. Thanks for the information, it helps to know that others out there experience similar things!

Thanks

I used to pass out regularly if I didn't immediately sit down when I felt the same thing you're describing. I told my Rheumy and her and I actually giggle about it because she has the same issue --- it's a rapid drop in already low blood pressure. We giggle because one day she stood up to kiss her husband and right after he kissed her she fainted so he was like "WOW that was some kiss!"
    I don't have it as much now since my blood pressure has stabilized (still kinda low but not as low as it was) but I still get the headrush every now and then.
    With some people it's their low blood pressure and with lupies I think it warrants further investigation. I also have Raynaud's and my rheumy just recently tested me for anticardiolipins (sp?) which I think shows if your condition is affecting your blood.
    Whenever I don't feel like doing it, I always remember that tomorrow I may not be able to do it. Then doing it becomes a blessing instead of a burden.

I got some stuff goin' on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to howsabout For This Useful Post:

leah21 (10-24-2011)

Thanks

Yeah, I could definitely feel a change, too. It was so strange, I'd never felt anything like that before.

Thanks for the answer!