Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared to death of the Pain Management Doc!

Thanks

Default Scared to death of the Pain Management Doc!

Why the earth am I so nervous about my 1st pain management appointment Thursday? It's seriously got my stomach in knots.

I mean, I should probably be excited, and even feel lucky to get to see the guy. I wouldn't be able to afford it without my hospital's assistance program. And maybe I'll get there and he'll be awesome. But right now all I feel is dread at having to try to accurately describe my pain, and fear that he won't believe me. My GP and Rheumy both know what I've been struggling thru this last year. And I have MRI results showing a decrease in bone marrow signal, and an extra vertabrae, and a bulging disk, but the darned thing says "minor" bulge, which I HATE! as it's giving me sooo much trouble. I honestly wish it showed a huge problem, just to validate the amount of pain it has given me.

The other thing is, I'm feeling better right now than I have in weeks. I finally have a combo of meds that's working for me. Unfortunately, one of those meds is a hardcore dose of Vicodin, which I know I have to get rid of. I've been on it way too long already, and I actually really want to be Vicodin-free, but I'm worried sick about both the withdrawal aspect, and how changing my meds now will quite possibly throw me into another flare. This last week in particular has been awesome, pain-wise, and now (NOW???) I'm jacking with it. So I'm fighting the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" war with myself. All the time knowing that the vicodin shouldn't be considered a longtime 'fix'.

Oh, friends. . . I need all the good vibes and crossed fingers I can get right now.

Thanks

I totally understand. I get nervous when I have to see new docs, too. So many of them want to reinvent the wheel, subject us to more tests, and arrive at their own conclusions despite our diagnoses. I've had that happen and hate it. It's exhausting, time-consuming, and frustrating. And it feels like they don't believe us or our experiences.

But think positive. A pain management doc probably won't do that. I hope that he will understand your issues, have a plan and be a big help on your health care team!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaL For This Useful Post:

sharpiessave (10-19-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm another one who is terrified of doing anything new. When it comes comes to new docs, I show up way earlier cause I'm afraid of getting lost. Think of this guy as your way to Vicodin free future.

You can do this, try and relax
    Good Vibs
    Last edited by Nonna; 10-18-2011 at 11:30 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

just think of the bee gees

im sending you "good vibrations"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here is hoping your pain management awesome is as awesome as mine. Keep us posted.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mdawncooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Think positive!

I've had the same pain mgmt doc for 11 years and he has been a true godsend. I honestly don't know what I'd do without him. When you go in, just tell him what you told us - that you worry about being able to really describe your pain, etc. And don't be afraid to "be whiny". Sometimes I think I'm less than honest/less than open because I'm afraid of coming across as a complainer/whiner, but I learned from my pain doc that they can't help if you don't tell them everything. And they will not think you are faking or complaining - they specialize in pain and are expecting you to tell them what's going on.

Good luck and be sure and let us know how it goes!

Robin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to prothumos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok. Ok. Ok. I don't even know where to start. First I should say thanks to all of you for your kind words. Next I'll ask for the opposite of my first good vibes request. I'm imagining the entire AI community shooting brain daggers towards the whole Kansas City metropolitan area. I'm so mad.

So, I woke up late today, and had 2 messages from the clinic. The first one was about bringing everything I could get my hands on, records-wise. The second was a "call us now" message. So I called, and was told that since I don't have insurance, the doc can't see me at my hostpital. Seeing patients at other hospitals is just a courtesy, and apparently they don't accept any kind of alternate hospital assistance. People with no insurance, I was told, have to come to their clinic in the city. The first visit is $360, and the rest (monthly) are 25% off of that. She said, and I quote, "Obviously we have to cancle tomorrow's appointment. If you choose to make an appointment with us in the future, be advised that the wait is approximately 3-4 months, and we expect cash on hand." Like she was reading it. Or, more likely, like she had said it a thousand times and had just stopped giving a sh!# a long time ago.

Lots of emotions going on right now. I've got to admit, relief is mixed in there somewhere. But mostly I feel all second-class citizeny, and sorry for myself. My pain has become so great that I can't work, thus no insurance, and no money. I get that it's a business though, so there's that. But dangit. Dangit. And why did I find this out less than 24 hours before the appointment? It's been on the books for 3 weeks!

So now I call my GP and Rheumy, and see if they have any suggestions. And then I wait to get see if I get approved for medicaid. In Missouri, if you're not on the disabled list, all medicaid applications go to a review board, and that takes 3-4 months too. I'm stuck in limbo again. Dangit.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiessave View Post
    Ok. Ok. Ok. I don't even know where to start. First I should say thanks to all of you for your kind words. Next I'll ask for the opposite of my first good vibes request. I'm imagining the entire AI community shooting brain daggers towards the whole Kansas City metropolitan area. I'm so mad.

So, I woke up late today, and had 2 messages from the clinic. The first one was about bringing everything I could get my hands on, records-wise. The second was a "call us now" message. So I called, and was told that since I don't have insurance, the doc can't see me at my hostpital. Seeing patients at other hospitals is just a courtesy, and apparently they don't accept any kind of alternate hospital assistance. People with no insurance, I was told, have to come to their clinic in the city. The first visit is $360, and the rest (monthly) are 25% off of that. She said, and I quote, "Obviously we have to cancle tomorrow's appointment. If you choose to make an appointment with us in the future, be advised that the wait is approximately 3-4 months, and we expect cash on hand." Like she was reading it. Or, more likely, like she had said it a thousand times and had just stopped giving a sh!# a long time ago.

Lots of emotions going on right now. I've got to admit, relief is mixed in there somewhere. But mostly I feel all second-class citizeny, and sorry for myself. My pain has become so great that I can't work, thus no insurance, and no money. I get that it's a business though, so there's that. But dangit. Dangit. And why did I find this out less than 24 hours before the appointment? It's been on the books for 3 weeks!

So now I call my GP and Rheumy, and see if they have any suggestions. And then I wait to get see if I get approved for medicaid. In Missouri, if you're not on the disabled list, all medicaid applications go to a review board, and that takes 3-4 months too. I'm stuck in limbo again. Dangit.
    Oh I wish I felt like I did a couple of days ago because I would have been giving infractions because of my cussing! I have been where you are (and still am but in Texas in on Disability I get no medicaid and, if I am lucky, medicare in Oct 2012) and there is nothing that makes me madder! My last trip to the ER they put me in the hospital (thinking I was having a heart attack) and after running several test they told me I needed (another) stress test. The morning came and we were waiting for the doctor to come in and give the order when a LOVELY (NOT) lady from billing came in and began telling me that they are a private hospital and since I have no insurance and no way to pay the bill I needed to get out. Yes, you heard me. I tried to tell her that I explained all that to the ER people but they still put me in and she said 'They are the ER. We are the hospital. The next time you need a hospital please just drive right by us". Yes, LOTS of emotions. 2nd class citizen. I completely understand where you are and what you are feeling.

Now, you need to take a deep breath and listen to me. You are NOT a 2nd class citizen and the ONLY reason that those people treat you that way is because they have never become ill enough to lose their insurance or they would be sitting right where you are! They don't understand that it takes one illness and the "best medical care in the world" slips through your hands like the slime my daughter played with as a child.

I used to be kind of like them (but I was kind). Although I felt sorry for the people with no insurance I didn't understand it. You had no insurance because you lost your job you then got free medical care. The idiots KNOW what the system is like and I hope they never end up where they have put so many people. They are the trash my friend. They are the trash because they lost their humanity somewhere along the way.

You are one of the kindest people that I know and you didn't deserve this. Thankfully you are here with us instead of those people! The answer will come and you will find a doctor. Until then just lean on us!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can I ask a stupid question from Australia? Didn't Obama introduce a Health policy? What we heard on tv re his drive for health care sounded like here in OZ but it definitely isnt by the sound of it. It sounds soo frustrating for you all yes we have waiting lists but nothing like the problems like you all suffer. I do feel for you all! So sorry!
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Desleywr For This Useful Post:

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

President proposed it but for awhile they fought over it in congress. I heard last week that he was backing off of it now anyway
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~