Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a class/course?

Thanks

Default Taking a class/course?

Hello everyone, I would just like some opinions on taking a class. First of all, is it ok to take a class just for the sake of enjoyment,something to do,make new mates ect? or should you have a real strong possibility of connecting it to your future career? I would expect its fine and even a good thing to take classes for enjoyment and something to do but some opinions might help somewhat =]. Ive only been well enough to go for something like this for a couple of months, with adjusting to meds and whatnot. Im 20 years old and after doing nothing for about 3 years due to my illness I thought maybe taking a class would be a decent step in the right direction.

If this sounds like a decent plan to anyone......has anybody ever done a class for the enjoyment of it? if so any ideas what a 'not too stressful enjoyable class/course for a 20 year old might be?

Would appreciate some help guys, thanks =]

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I've taken many "just for the heck of it" classes simply because they were subjects I found interesting. Furthering ones education is a good thing regardless of whether it's for advancing a career, or just for the fun of it.

For me, taking a single class in something that interested me was a stress free exercise regardless of the course or subject because I wasn't doing it as a requirement for a degree I was working towards, and I wasn't taking a bunch of other classes at the same time.

One added bonus I noticed over the years, is that some of the classes I took just for the fun of it did end up helping me with my job/career later on, even though I didn't plan it that way.

I say go for it. You never know who you might meet or what doors might be opened for you.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 10-18-2011 at 03:53 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (10-23-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't take too many classes, it gets really stressful and im 20 too who took on too much in college and got really sick. I would suggest like one basic course like a math or science so it can go to your associates degree and an enjoyment class like an art class because that will still count as a basic course. Of course this all depends all how well you are feeling now, like taking one serious class and thats your only stress might not be too much for you and would help you build up your endurance for further education.
    P.S. I don't know how your college system is like in Australia so I just went off of what its like here in the U.S. hopefully it helps!

Thanks

I say go for it too! I live in a really rural town, so I don't have the option of participating in any much of anything anymore. But man, I miss school. I would definitely take something fun if I could get there without having to drive for over an hour. Something relatively stress-free is a great idea. In fact, most universities offer electives in things like relaxation and stress management. That'd be awesome. If you decide to do it, maybe you could teach us a thing or too. : )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sharpiessave For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (10-23-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

i also agree take a class.

if you are on any kind of support, check with them.
    usually they have a criteria, for financial support.

if they can help with the fees, it is less stress.

i know a few people who have taken courses like art and pottery, just for fun.
    but think outside the square...... some others that are worth considering are computing and know your car.
    they are low stress and benificial, if you like that sort of thing.
    do not limit your options.

Thanks

I think it's a wonderful idea ~ I've done it several times. There are actually a lot of free "classes" on the web in various things if you want to ease into it. Just do a search for free online classes and I bet there will be something that catches your interest. If you did a free one first, you could see how it works out with your "life", i.e. dealing with flares, meds, being in pain, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Robin

Thanks

Yeah!! I'm 22 and i'm currently sitting in class right now lol

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by capncrunch View Post
    Yeah!! I'm 22 and i'm currently sitting in class right now lol
    Hey Captain, it's good to see you!

Thanks

I think taking a class would be a good choice but I agree that you do not want to take too much. I am teaching a college course now and it is call Learning Frameworks. The purpose is to learn how to study. Something like this would be a good choice to just get you back in the groove of studying.

I wish you well on your adventure.

Thanks

Thanks everyone! =]

I really appreciate all the advice. I will continue to look into this heavily