Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Sleep

So I know everyone with lupus has trouble with sleep, but I was wonder what techniques y'all use to help?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I took Ammityiptyline for a year and a half for my fibro and it helped with sleep. Then it stopped working on both counts. Now I simply stay awake until my body runs itself down (and hopefully that is in less than 24/36 hours)
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

there was a tread about this about 1 month ago.

it was decided.......
    by the few that enjoyed it.......

that there is only 1 sure cure .......

sex

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

sharpiessave (10-17-2011), wendylee03 (10-18-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Lol omg I needed that Steve! Thank you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Awesome. : )

I was gunna say a combination of xanax and ambien, but Steve's strategy is much more fun.

Seriously, though, sleep is second only to pain in how this Mess has messed with me. Everything I try eventually stops working. I think I become immune to most meds too quickly, like my body won't be fooled. It's dumb, and I hate it. (The situation; not my body. No, wait. . . As much as I wanna promote self-love and acceptance, my body's trying to kill me, so I think it might deserve to be hated on a little bit.)

Here are some of the multitude of things I've tried (in no particular order, and perhaps not relevant to anyone but me):

I take my steroids as soon as I can in the morning. That means waiting an hour after the thyroid med, but still. The earlier I take them, the earlier I can get sleepy.
    I make my room super dark and super cold, so I can bury myself under blankets. Weighted blankets are a must for nighttime RLS.
    My doc has me take xanax an hour before I want to sleep, then ambien right before I lay down. That's one of the things that isn't working anymore.
    White noise! I have to have a fan, and a dehumidifier. I can't believe I just tried to spell that.
    This one's silly, but it works for me. I have a nighttime smell. A lotion that I always put on before bed. The smell is a comfort thing.
    I keep something light to read for like, 5 minutes when I hit the sack. Dave Barry and the like. Helps my head think of something other than The Mess.

Man, there's sooooo much more. Sleep is one of those vital things that we can never seem to get enough of. In its own way, just the thought of it can stress me out. So I try to trick my own brain into thinking I don't care if I sleep or not. I'll just lay there, letting my body rest, trying not to think. (mostly impossible, that.) If I have to get up at a certain time in the morning, sleep won't come. But if I can just lay there, eventually it'll happen. Eventually.

I'm psyched about reading this thread. At this point I'll try just about anything, so I can't wait to hear everybody else's routines.

Thanks

Mica,
    I take a Melatonin before bedtime and often use Steve's solution in combination with it. I'm super-sensitive to meds, so I don't use any strong sleep meds.
    Like Sharpie, I also like for the room to be cold and dark.
    My problem is staying asleep. I'm a middle-aged woman in early menopause, so I often wake up with night sweats and have to trek to the restroom.
    My legs wake me up with spasms, too. The problem is then getting back to sleep. (I could wake my husband up for more of Steve's solution, but the poor man has to get up and go to grad school) I'm often awake for an hour or so, but then I get some good sleep early in the morning.
    We need to get a dehumidifier soon, but I don't think that I will want to run it at night. I can't stand white noise - I want total quiet (except for the snoring next to me, but I've listened to that for 35 years)
    The sleep (or lack thereof) threads are always interesting. Check out the others from the archives.
    Hugs and good night,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take a mucle relaxer to help with the muscle spasms. The neuro has me on mirapex for the parkinson's but the handout from the pharmacy says it's also used for RLS.
    The muscle relaxer usually works and I sleep.

I like Steve's remedy better also. (wish it was available)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I find sleep to be highly overrated, so I don't do it anymore.

Besides, there will be enough time to sleep when I'm dead. (insert smiley face)

Thanks

itake valium it was the only thing that helps me sleep only low dosage but it does the trick

Thanks

I have no idea what sleep is anymore! My husband poor man gets tired of having sex after a while, so I must suffer with sleepless nights until he recoups!