Thread: Flu Shot ???

Thanks

Default Flu Shot ???

Hi Gang,

Just wondering your thoughts on Flu shots. Does anyone get them? I've read conflicting reports about flu shots and lupus.

Does anyone have any experience with a flu shot bringing on a flare?

Thanks for any advise.
    Brenda

Thanks

Brenda,
    Talk to your doc - I know that they really want us to get them.
    That said, I've had one flu shot in my life, because I was going to see a newborn grandson. I reacted badly and got really sick, so no more of those things for me!
    I used to teach, and kids would sneeze on me all of the time, yet I never got sick. I think that my immune system is so much on overdrive that germs don't stand a chance!

You and your doc know your body, so you will need to make your decision with his/her help.
    Hugs,
    Marla

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I was told that I had to get it but I had to make sure that it wasn't the live version (the one through the nose). I got mine about 3 weeks ago
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

steve.b (10-17-2011)

Thanks

I actually received one about a week, after I got it, I started to have major joint pain within hours. It lasted a few days, But thank God it finally receded!

Thanks

I get mine every year but of course this is my first year to be dealing with a Lupus diagnosis. I got mine a few weeks ago and had no problems at all.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I will put in a quick call to my doc to see what she says.

Maria, I used to work with kids and never get sick either. The first couple of years teaching I was sick all the time. Now, 25 years later, I seem to be immune to a lot of the bugs going around.

I think I "bragged" too much and jinxed myself. Now my immune system is really messed up.

Brenda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My doctor also said i need to get one and have been doing this for the past few years. He said not the live one and so far i have not had any problems i thought since at this time i was on and increase of pred he would not give it but he said it did not make any difference Good luck Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My doctor thought that it wouldnt be very good for me, but i have Fibromyalgia and not Lupus, so i'm not sure. Different docs have different perspectives, so i'd definitely ask your doc to see what they think is best for you.
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get mine done every year and make my family get one too. I can't take that risk of getting the flu on top of lupus so it helps ease my mind. I do have lupus and a flu shot has never brought on a flare and my doctor has made sure I get one every year too. Sometimes I feel a little crumby a few days afterwards but nothing like the real flu or a full on flare. Please talk to your doctor because he or she will know better that I but that is just my personal experience.

Thanks

I have always gotten my flu shot every year, and since my diagnosis Im on the list of people who get it early, especially because Im on immune supressing drugs right now. I got mine with the first shipment they got at Childrens. My doctors all think its really important especially when on meds that lower your immune system to get the flu shot because it will be much easier to catch the flu and then twice as hard to fight it off. NEVER get the live version though, on immune lowering drugs or not. I've heard that is a big no no. I would definately talk to your doc about it but I think flu shots are a good idea.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.