Thread: Mom's stroke update

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Mom's stroke update

Hey everyone. Thought I give an update on my mom: She's getting worse I'm sad to say. MRI done last Sunday showed that she'd been having mini strokes from 3 Oct- 8 October leaving her unable to swallow. A nasal tube was put in but she didn't tolerate that so they put in a stomach tube. She's currently in a coma but not really in a coma if that makes any sense. Tomorrow I meet with the palliative care team to decide what to do next. Prayers were answered last night in the respect that I found a living will and a regular will. I did not think Mom had them drawn up but lo and behold she had back in 1996 and they are very legal. She has requested "do not resuscitate" in her living will and I will respect that if the time comes. Right now I'm on auto pilot living moment to moment. I do have a temp assignment that started yesterday and runs through Saturday for a union convention. It distracts me which is nice and of course the paycheck goes without saying.

Mom barely responds to the medical staff and doesn't respond to me or my husband at all. This does not surprise me. I really think she's mad at me and is giving me the cold shoulder. She did that a lot when she was well. Actually, she's pulled that one on me my entire life. Instead of talking about what bothered her, she'd just ignore me. Why should she be any different now I guess...
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

It is extremely hard to Know what to say! I am thinking of you and your family it is so hardforyou especially emotionally!
    All i can say is keep talking about yourfeelins never bottle it up and listen to the medical staff even if they say things you dont wantto hear. Somethings must be said even if they hurt. There are many people here for you to communicate with. Such a wonderful support group, make good use of us and we will bewithyou always!

Desley

UOTE=ruziska;97601]Hey everyone. Thought I give an update on my mom: She's getting worse I'm sad to say. MRI done last Sunday showed that she'd been having mini strokes from 3 Oct- 8 October leaving her unable to swallow. A nasal tube was put in but she didn't tolerate that so they put in a stomach tube. She's currently in a coma but not really in a coma if that makes any sense. Tomorrow I meet with the palliative care team to decide what to do next. Prayers were answered last night in the respect that I found a living will and a regular will. I did not think Mom had them drawn up but lo and behold she had back in 1996 and they are very legal. She has requested "do not resuscitate" in her living will and I will respect that if the time comes. Right now I'm on auto pilot living moment to moment. I do have a temp assignment that started yesterday and runs through Saturday for a union convention. It distracts me which is nice and of course the paycheck goes without saying.

Mom barely responds to the medical staff and doesn't respond to me or my husband at all. This does not surprise me. I really think she's mad at me and is giving me the cold shoulder. She did that a lot when she was well. Actually, she's pulled that one on me my entire life. Instead of talking about what bothered her, she'd just ignore me. Why should she be any different now I guess...[/QUOTE]
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

i am thinking of you.
    may you find peace in whatever happens with mum.

it is never easy to decide how much help someone needs.
    i am still hoping mum can recouperate, and live with your daughter.
    it will be a long road.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have to echo Steve, my thoughts are the same. I'm hoping for the best. But we're always here for you no matter what happens.

Thanks

My thoughts are with you. Be strong and take care of yourself.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).