Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From too cold to too hot and then too cold again?

Thanks

Default From too cold to too hot and then too cold again?

Hi

I was just curious if anyone else has this problem and if it was common.
    My internal temperature regulator thingie seems wackey. If I get cold, I get white hands, white lips, blue nails, blue toes painfully cold. The only cure is a hot bath. But when I get overheated, its the opposite. If I spend longer than 10 mins directly in the sun I will spend all day trying to cool down. My face will feel like it's still in the sun! I will drench the bedsheets in sweat. It really doesn't stop until more than 6 hours later or even take overnight.

I don't know why this happens. Do you? Thanks!
    Whenever I don't feel like doing it, I always remember that tomorrow I may not be able to do it. Then doing it becomes a blessing instead of a burden.

I got some stuff goin' on.

Thanks

Hey Howsa, : )
    When my thyroid is really jacked up my body does that hot/cold crap all the time. And I guess lots of people with AI diseases struggle with thyroid stuff. So that might be something you could get checked out.

Our bodies are a constant mystery. I hope you figure out what's up.

Sharpie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have the same problem right now I am driving my family nuts with the heat and the air. It is so bad that I will get in cold showers to help when hot and then hot showers or tub to get warm. I change colors all the time and freak people out with it. It gets annoying especially when you know that you are driving other people nuts with it. I am having no luck with drs right now so I have no reason why mine is happening. If you find out what's going on please pass it on, as it might help me. Thanks sorry I couldn't be of better help.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Thanks

The color changes is from raynauds. My rheum told me my "internal thermostat" doesnt work which she thinks is an autonomic problem. I dress in layers all the time because half the time I'm burning up the rest of the time Im freezing.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

tgal (10-11-2011)

Thanks

I've actually taken my temp during a cold spell and during a hot flash. When I'm cold I run at about 96 degrees. When I'm hot it's closer to 98.6 or so. When I'm ok I'll run at about 97.2

It's interesting and yes, driving my husband crazy. Lol. I also find that layering myself during a Raynaud's attack only helps minimally and when I do finally get to a hot bath my temp will swing completely the other way. For some reason any sudden rise in temperature on my body whether it be sun or warm water will cause the "hot flash."
    It's like I can't regulate.

Thanks y'all for the replies. Good to know I'm not alone on this!
    Whenever I don't feel like doing it, I always remember that tomorrow I may not be able to do it. Then doing it becomes a blessing instead of a burden.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My internal thermostat is wacky too. Between thyroid issue and lupus I don't stand a chance. I just deal

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I never get cold. My feet do and, as any Raynaud's patient knows, I get the horrible pain and the lovely colors. The difference for me is that getting in the hot tub hurts so badly when my feet are that lovely red or blue! The only way that I can't describe it is to say that they feel so cold that they burn when they hit that water. They eventually get back to normal but there is some pain getting there
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Yep, my internal thermostat is wacked out too. Mine is stuck on the high side. I'm either uncomfortably warm, or miserably hot much of the time. I don't have the fun of dealing with the chills, but I do have times when I sit in front of the A/C unit on warm days and the sweat just keeps on coming. It seems to take forever to cool back down once I'm overheated. I'm Glad I live in New England now, and not the desert.

Rob

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (10-11-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Yep, my internal thermostat is wacked out too. Mine is stuck on the high side. I'm either uncomfortably warm, or miserably hot much of the time. I don't have the fun of dealing with the chills, but I do have times when I sit in front of the A/C unit on warm days and the sweat just keeps on coming. It seems to take forever to cool back down once I'm overheated. I'm Glad I live in New England now, and not the desert.

Rob
    I have what you have and live in TEXAS! How dumb is that?
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    I never get cold. My feet do and, as any Raynaud's patient knows, I get the horrible pain and the lovely colors. The difference for me is that getting in the hot tub hurts so badly when my feet are that lovely red or blue! The only way that I can't describe it is to say that they feel so cold that they burn when they hit that water. They eventually get back to normal but there is some pain getting there
    I learned this the very hard way. The water, it burrrrrns. Kinda like a vampire jumpin in holy water!

Today I had an episode and since I was feeling ok I ran up the stairs to get something and it was somewhat relieved but came back after I drank more water and now... I'm in my underwear trying to cool off from sitting in the house buried in layers.