Thread: thak god yall are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Angry thak god yall are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am 39 mother of 5...been diagnosed and rediagnosed with systemic lupus and fibro, recently got blood test results and ive got so many questions...ie....and anti titer of 1:320? is that high? what does it indicate? my anti dna was 234..strong positive...does that mean lupus is active? and my ana is positive with homogeneous pattern? ugh! im terrified!

Thanks

Hello and welcome. I generally stay away from interpreting lab results, but I wanted to say that I am glad you found us. Please read through the "stickies" and other posts that interest you and jump right in with replies.

Who diagnosed you and when do you see that person again? It sounds like you have some questions that should be addressed by your doctor, so you know exactly where the doctor thinks things stand. Did he/she start you on meds? If so, what?

In terms of being terrified. We've all been there at one time or another, but lupus is not a death sentence, or even a disability sentence. Some folks respond very well to medication, staying out of UV light (sun and florescent lighting), pacing themselves and generally living a healthy lifestyle. Other folks do everything they are supposed to and still have significant problems. The message that the moderators share over and over again is that stress makes things worse, so try not to "borrow trouble" by worrying about things that might never happen. Try to make yourself a priority so that you can continue to be a great mom. I still haven't learned that lesson, and I only have 1 kid left at home.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

actually i havnt felt well and went to the doc and all she did was ordered labs and gave me prednisone for 7 days i called several times and the retarde nurse told me there wasnt anything in my test results that had to be discussed immediately, so i went and picked up my lab reports myself...i fnally have an apt to discuss em monday morning....according to my labs i am a lot sicker than i thought, and im really upset that they dont care a whole lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amdoserenity View Post
    actually i havnt felt well and went to the doc and all she did was ordered labs and gave me prednisone for 7 days i called several times and the retarde nurse told me there wasnt anything in my test results that had to be discussed immediately, so i went and picked up my lab reports myself...i fnally have an apt to discuss em monday morning....according to my labs i am a lot sicker than i thought, and im really upset that they dont care a whole lot.
    If you live in the U.S. you can fire your doctor. It can be really hard to find a good one, so I personally don't tell doctors that they are "fired" until I have found the next one. That way I am covered if it takes months to get in to another one.

I have found that going into an appointment with the right attitude can make a big difference. I have a list of questions and symptoms written down so I don't forget anything. Depending on the doctor, I often hand them the list and ask to have it put in my chart. I am respectful, but if things start going badly, I ask very direct questions. For example: "You said that my labs aren't anything to worry about, but I am having a hard time going to work, taking care of my family... I need your help to be able to live a normal life again." If they won't help, then I ask for a copy of the doctors notes when they are done and any lab results and move on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Elo (10-09-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

hi amdoserenity,
    welcome to our cyber family.

it can be scarey trying to figure out what is happenning.

please do not over worry........
    as one person here so cleaverly puts it.
    do not borrow trouble.

the results are what they are.....
    different labs use different scales,
    what 1 lab calls high..... the next calls normal.

my suggestion, is to take a breath.....
    write down your questions, before you see the doctor.
    if you are like me, (and get worked up), ......
    you get caught up in what is being said, and forget your questions.

remember your attitude dictates there cooperation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Elo (10-09-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hihi!
    An ANA is an anti nuclear antibody, it's a test to see if and how much your body is attacking itself. I know nothing about the patterns, but, the numbers tell you how high it is. The first number is always 1, and the second number is how many times your blood can be diluted whilst still being able to see the inflammation/ana. So it's one part blood to however many parts solution.
    The numbers double, so they normally start at about 1:20, 1:40, etc. So, I would say that yes, 1:320 is rather high. 1:80 is considered borderline positive, so up from there is most likely positive.
    That being said, i'm obviously not the most knowledgeable person, so I would definitely ask your doc about what that means - have them explain it to you, you have questions, and you deserve to know. (:

As those wonderful people before me have said, I would definitely write down any questions or concerns that you have. One thing about both fibro and lupus, is that you might suffer from brain fog - which makes it unbelievably easy to forget simple things you really want to remember. So my suggestion is to sit down and write every question you can think of, and periodically, before your next appointment, add anything else you can think of to that list.

The sad truth is that you'll have to be an advocate for yourself. There are too many doctors + nurses out there who don't treat patients with respect or believe them when they say how sick they are or how much pain that they are in. The first thing I would do is try to educate yourself about your diagnosis', and try to be firm. When it comes down to it, you employ them, and you need proper treatment and deserve a doctor who respects you.

anyways, welcome to the forum! I myself don't have Lupus, but I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, so I can help more with questions of that than the other ^^

I'm glad you've found us, and welcome!
    Last edited by Elo; 10-09-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: I say definitely a lot. Had to change that. It was bugging me.
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

steve.b (10-09-2011)