Thread: Good Morning

Thanks

Unhappy Good Morning

I am new to this site but not to autoimmune diseases. I am an overachiever in this field I have 3, first Grave's then RA now lupus. The graves is under control my thyroid was nuked in 93' the RA is in remission but the lupus is kicking my butt. I found this site by googling loss of appetite and diahrea both of which are taking its toll on my system. I have a call in to my rhumey because the diahrea has lasted about 2 weeks now and i am afraid I may be getting dehydrated. Any tips on how to handle this part of the disease. I have immodium but not sure that should be a daily supplement.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi there! Unfortunately, AI diseases seem to be like potato chips or cookies. You may think you can have just one, but soon enough, you have a few more.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Sorry i can't help too much - I have fibromyalgia, and not Lupus- but with the diarrhea - the thing you should look out for is if it's green. If you keep having green feces, it means that your body isn't properly digesting the nutrients in your food because it's going through your body too quickly. Of course, green feces can also be caused by green food coloring as well, just so you know. But if you keep having this you might want to ask a doctor. In the mean time, you should just try to make sure you stay hydrated, and possibly eating foods easy on your stomach, such as yogurt (especially greek), or some light fruits and nuts.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - just wanted to pop by and make sure you were welcomed to the forum! I'm glad you've found us It's a great place to talk to people who know what you're going through, especially nice when it comes to rants, hehe.
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-06-2011)

Thanks

I tried an over the counter medicine called culturell (might have spelled that wrong) that was a little pricey but it helped when I was having tummy problems.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-06-2011)

Thanks

is bathroom disease pretty common with lupus?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nora View Post
    is bathroom disease pretty common with lupus?
    For me, it is a sign of a flare coming on. I always say, that I have a cows stomach, I can eat whatever I want and never get tummy troubles, but when I get a flare, watch out, the bathroom is mine. For about three to four days, I will get alot of nausea and diarrhea. After that the flare usually starts, with joint pain, dizzyness, muscle pain and flue like symptoms.

Btw, welcome to WHL.
    I also have Lupus, RA and Fibro.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Just chiming in with my welcome, Nora. Irritable bowel syndrome seems to strike a lot of folks who have autoimmune disorders. Calling your doc is a good idea because diarrhea can be a symptom of a lot of things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-06-2011)

Thanks

Well Rhumey just called first the nurse said that is not a symptom of lupus see your GP. Then they called back and rhumey said if I am having reoccurant diahhrea then I need a colonoscopy. I had one of those 6 years ago not getting another they said go to your GP. I have an appointment tomorrow woohoo!

Thanks

Hi Nora, sorry to hear about the tummy troubles. Have you fiddled with your diet at all? I had lots of tummy troubles until I went off gluten. For some people it is dairy, soy, corn, etc. Even if you don't have Celiac disease you can still have a problem w/ gluten. Now that I'm off gluten I just eat a lot of cheese though, lol. I hope you feel better soon!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

hi nora,
    welcome to our cyber family.
    we are not doctors, so our medical advice is realy us explaining what works for us.

i take metrogyl. i use it for 3 days, then need 3 days off of it.
    quite often i need 2 rounds.

this medication kills all bugs in the stomach. good and bad.

irritated bowel syndrome (ibs) is very common with most immune disorders, not just lupus.

it is caused by something upsetting your lining of your stomach.
    this may be bugs or a bad reaction to medication, or even diet.

i hope you find out what is causing it, as dehidration can lead to further problems.

again welcome.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (10-06-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

As has been mentioned, your digestive issues are not uncommon to folks with AI diseases and IBS is one of the most common digestive track dysfunctions that we are afflicted with.
    Also, I know that you are dealing with three issues already, but you may want to ask your doctors about Fibromyalgia. It is a frequent interloper amongst AI diseases and one of the most common symptoms is IBS which can be in the form of constipation or diarrhea or a combination of both.
    I am glad that you found us Welcome to our family. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!