Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I really need long sleeves and long pants?

Thanks

Default Do I really need long sleeves and long pants?

I tried to find this out in search. I am still unsure as to what type of skin lupus I have. It was red then flaky and peeled then started all over again.
    If I wear a strong SPF 70 will that do?
    It gets very hot here in the south. I would probably faint if outside dressed in long anything once it gets into the 80's which is in a few days probably.
    Does anyone know if broad spectrum will do? Although I do believe my rash was caused from the sun I had been going out sometimes at noon and did not always have on my SPF 30 and had a small sun visor but my face was upturned to sun a few times. Then rash.
    Heron

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 715 Posts

With reference to your sunscreen, I would say that broad spectrum is the best to use. I understand that it is very hot (and muggy) in the South and so I know you are loathe to have a lot of clothing on. When I suggest long sleeves and long pants, I am suggesting very, very, lightweight material that allows your skin to breath. "Coolibar" makes sun-protective clothing specifically for Lupus patients. The clothing items offer UPF 50+ protection as well as AVA/UVB protection. Here is their website if you want to check out what they have to offer:
    http://www.coolibar.com
    I also offered a few suggestions in your other post about protective clothing. Best of Luck To You!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

alexsisv (10-14-2015), heron (04-03-2015)

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    Thanks for the link are Coolibar shirts cool? As in not hot.
    I have a couple of shirts w/ UPF protection but they are very hot can only wear when in the 70's it gets triple digits (rarely but happens) in summer. I might have to check it out though, I seem to be getting sore spots beneath clothes on arms, chest. Also one in hairline and in eyebrow. I put sunblock on even at 4pm and cloudy usually wear big hat but if winds are stiff like today just small sunvisor as hat would not work gusts were up to 30 MPH. So I assume I still need the sunblock after 4pm right? Or just use b4? I am not sure on this. Also with daylight savings I guess that is why some way 10-3 stay out of sun some say 10-4. All so new to me. But don't won't that rash again, so terribly itchy thought I would go nuts.
    Heron

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Heron;
    I live in the High Desert in Southern California. We reach temperatures as high as 115 in the summer. I have a Coolibar cover that is extremely lightweight. I wear it over almost everything - it is long sleeves but very, very thin. It is SPF 50, so this, along with slathering sun screen on my body, seems to work quite well for me when combined with hat and sunglasses. I've only purchased the one item from them, but they advertise that all of their clothing is lightweight.
    Our issue is with the UV/UVA rays from the sun - so this means that even in the evenings, we are still susceptible to the rays. I personally always stay covered up. Like you, I don't want to have to deal with the rashes any more.
    OK, well, I did slip up last week! I swam my laps and it was windy when I got out of the pool. So, instead of covering up or going inside, I sat in the sun to warm up. I was only there for 2 minutes - but I did not re-apply my sunscreen or put on my hat or my glasses (what in the H$@@ was I thinking?). I had a horrible rash that lasted for four days, my muscles ached, and the fatigue knocked me low. It doesn't take much for us to suffer from the sun!! At any rate, I will NEVER make that mistake again - lol
    Best of luck sweetie and continue to do what you are doing!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

heron (04-08-2015)

Thanks

Thanks. In a bit of a flare - will answer tomorrow I hope

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,

Yes I have visited out west often. I was born in and moved back to Texas later for awhile as adult. It is what I call furnace heat. Dry heat. I kind of like it it was lovely for my pain but bad for my dry skin. So we have moderate humidity here. Some say it is high. But not to me.
    2 Minutes! that is amazing. Yeah we sometime either are in denial are something huh? Glad you decided not to risk no sunblock again. So u have SLE or DLE?

I ordered Rit Dye SunGuard (read abt here in an old post) b/c it was abt a 5 yr old post. does it work? B/c I ordered it and was going to wash my clothes in it. But no one has mentioned recently to my knowledge.
    Have been having a lot of TMJ/neck problems not sure if swimming is going to be a possibility. I remember it did seem to agravate my TMJS.
    OK that's it for the typing for my hands (Dupytren's)
    Heron

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,253 Posts

hi heron,

I have found swimming difficult for me .....
    so I do aqua aerobics.
    not the fast stuff done to music.
    but the slow type that is about movement.

for me it is very beneficial.
    I find the water help me to get range of motion, without the effect of gravity causing fatigue.
    so I can stretch and move without feeling sore afterwards.

and the water helps stop me from overheating.

it may be worth looking into for you.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

heron (04-11-2015), Saysusie (04-11-2015)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Heron;
    The heat here in the High Desert is a very dry heat. We have almost zero humidity and sometimes I wish that we did have some humidity as my hair seems always parched and my skin needs so much moisturizing! But, I otherwise love it here.
    I've never used the Rit Dye sunguard when washing my clothes. So, you'll have to tell me if it works for you .
    Rob's idea about slow moving water aerobics sounds wonderful. I may even try it on those days when I am too fatigued to swim laps. Thanks Rob!!!
    If you do want to attempt swimming, due to your issues, try doing it with a life vest so that you don't have to use those muscles that aggravate your TMJS.
    Best of Luck sweetie

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    I am not a joiner by nature. More a loner. It would entail a class .....
    The pool has to be very warm for me I used to keep mine at 92degrees.
    Joining a class would be a commitment that I would probably not be able to keep. Usually there are time issues or whatever. That is great that you can do it.
    Feeling weightless in the water--completely submerged with just my head out of the water always felt the best. Just being able to hang there in deep water I love that. but the angle on my neck as well as when trying to swim (even just side stroke) was what gave me the most neck problems. I had my own water aerobics program for one that I did (such fun especially jogging in water effortlessly!) but no longer have my own pool.
    I do pretty well unless in a flare. Very active. Miss the water but just getting there is half the problem.
    Heron

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    Yes I considered re-locating for the pain relieving properties of the weather but my skin couldn't take it.
    Here with moderate most days humidity my skin is just drinking in the mositurizer. Break out easily in heat type rashes where clothes meet my skin. Always a patch somewhere.
    Using the Rit gives me pause b/c of my super sensitive skin. I have been using Drift liquid detergent for years if you know of a gentler one let me know. I wonder if the Rit would leave a residue that my skin would react to. I didn't find much about it here so do not know. I will try and search again.
    Like I mentioned in post to Steve (and thanks for pointing it out to me I usually just go to the last post and would have missed it maybe) it is the neck muscles that give me the most trouble in and out of water. I have osteoarthritis and osteophytes on two neck vertebra from whiplash when I was 21.
    Heron