Thread: Stem Cell treamtent for Lupus

Thanks

Default Stem Cell treamtent for Lupus

My wife suffers from LUPUS and fibromyalgia. She has been struggling for over 5 years. She seems to be getting worst. I like to see if anyone has undergone stem cell replacement as a solution and if so I like to know where? what type of stem cell replacement? what has been the success with you? Any other information you can provide.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,240 Posts

hi mlopez,

sorry I have not had this treatment.
    but I did want to stop bye and say hi.

it is good to see a partner who supports properly.
    it is often where the support is not sincere.

hopefully someone will be able to offer you more information soon.
    but I could not offer my support to you.
    it is not easy supporting like you do.

thank you for caring !!!!!
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 709 Posts

Hi MLopez;
    I have never tried this treatment either. I know that some have had success with it and some have not. Here is some information about the procedure for you edification:

" Stem cells possess the potential to develop into many different types of cells in the body. They serve as a repair system for the body. There are two main types of stem cells: embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells. Embryonic stem cells are taken from human embryos. They are found exclusively in early-stage embryos, from which all the body’s 200-plus types of tissue ultimately grow. They are the body’s master cells.
    Adult stem cells are found in mature tissues that have already developed and are [COLOR=#0000FF !important]more[/COLOR] specialized than embryonic stem cells. The body uses these cells to replace other cells that die off throughout the normal course of life. The most common source of tissue-specific stem cells is the [COLOR=#0000FF !important]bone marrow[/COLOR], located in the center of some bones.
    Over the past 20 years, stem cell transplantation (SCT) has emerged as a therapy for refractory autoimmune rheumatologic diseases, which may arrest the autoimmune disease process and lead to sustained remissions. Since the first consensus statement in 19971, approximately 200 cases of autologous [COLOR=#0000FF !important]bone[/COLOR] marrow or hematopoietic SCT have been reported worldwide for patients with severe SLE refractory to conventional immunosuppressive treatment, and the results showed that hematopoietic SCT can achieve sustained clinical remissions (ranging from 50% to 70% disease-free survival at 5 years) associated with immunological changes that were not seen with other forms of treatments.
    The success of SCT in SLE has been attributed to resetting an aberrant immune system either through direct immune replacement with hematopoietic stem cells or through immunomodulation with mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), shifting the immune system from a highly pro- inflammatory disease environment to a less inflammatory one. Unlike hematopoietic stem cells, MSCs are multipotent cells capable of differentiating into a variety of mesenchymal lineages including cartilage, bone, muscle, tendon, ligament and adipose tissue, and lack significant immunogenicity for no MHC-II and costimulatory molecule expression. MSCs reside in bone marrow, skeletal muscle, adipose tissue, connective tissue, umbilical cord blood, and placenta. The mesenchymal stem cell for transplantion are easily harvested compared with the hematopoietic stem cells which needs a conditioning regimen before transplant. In recent years, mesenchymal stem cell transplantion (MSCT), as a newly therapeutic regimen, has entered clinical trials for inflammatory disorders, such as Lupus. In addition, clinical trials for treating ischemia in myocardium, kidney and limbs have also been conducted. Noticeably, MSCT has produced promising results in treatment of autoimmunine diseases. The data available thus far, however, came from small-scale and short-term clinical trials, the feasibility and safety of MSCT remain to be determined."

I hope that this information helped you a bit. Hopefully, someone who has undergone this treatment will respond to you. However, if you need anything further, please do not hesitate to ask us! We are here to help in any way that we can.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!