Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone from Derek

Thanks

Post Hi Everyone from Derek

Hi Everyone,

My step daughter who is 16 years old has lupus, discoid and systemic. She currently lives overseas with her mother and brother. We are just waiting on the immigration process and hopefully the 3 of them will be here in May next year. In the mean time, I want to get really organized and find a good doctor and support group for when they get here.

So this is my first post and looking forward to making friends on this site.

Derek

Thanks

Best of luck to you in finding a good dr. It seems that is something that is really hard to find anywhere. Welcome, and nice to meet you.

Thanks

Welcome to WHL! Its so nice to see such a caring step father =) Your step daughter is so lucky to have you already making plans for her to help when when she comes! Where are you from? There's people on here from all over I'm sure they'll be able to help you with suggestions of where to start looking for doctors and local support groups.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

tgal (09-25-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Derek it is so good to have you with us! As was said before me, it is so wonderful that your step daughter has such support!

Doctors are a tricky thing. Some are fantastic and some, even ones that appear to be well qualified, don't really understand the ups and downs of this disease. Since your step daughter has already been diagnosed it may be much easier to find a good one for her. Although it sounds strange but at 16 I would look for a pediatric rheumatologist. Even though teens are not really children anymore there are mental and physical issues that a pediatric is much more familiar with,

Anyway... welcome aboard! You are a wonderful example of why this forum is not just for people with Lupus. We are so glad that you are here and welcome to our WHL family!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

ritzbit (09-25-2011)

Thanks

I wasn't even thinking lol I would look for your closest Childrens Hospital for a rheumatologist and see if you can find one that also has adult training. I started at 16 with my rheumatologist at Childrens and now at almost 19 am with the same doctor at Childrens still because she is also an adult rheumatologist. Saves me the trouble of having to switch doctors.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Hi,
    I am from Australia, my fiance, her daughter and son are from South America, we are just waiting for the immigration to approve everything. She is really sick today, just laid up in bed with a fever.....I never knew Lupus could be so bad

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, I am hoping to make friends on this site, and looking forward to being part of the family

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

hi derek,
    welcome from another aussie.
    there is quite a few of us on here.
    which state are you in.
    it is no good giving you information from the wrong state.
    there is people on here from Qld, Nsw and also WA.
    there may be more that i am not aware of.

ialsoam glad to see a step father who is trying to help so much.
    it is not the usual case.
    i am looking forward to meeting you through the forum.

again welcome.

Thanks

Hi Steve,
    I am from Perth WA, I was hoping to meet some Aussies, to try and find out about medications and doctors here. I just love this site, its great for support and help in understanding Lupus.
    Great to meet you

Thanks

hi derek welcome whl i am from sydney look forward to getting to know you