Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got an "ANA" test need advice.?

Thanks

Default Just got an "ANA" test need advice.?

So i went to my doctor last week and she did A LOT of blood work. She did an ANA test and she just sent me results it says:

You lab work is copied below. There are some slight abnormalities. We can discuss these results at your follow up. There is a very slight elevation in ANA which is non-specific test. There are some changes in your Mono testing but nothing confirmation.

so basically what we still dont know whats wrong with me?? ugh i have no idea how to read these results.. sorry if this post is pointless im just very confused. I want a diagnosis

Blog Entries
    Thanks

an ANA is basically an anti-nuclear antibody.
    What that means, is that it's a test to see if your body has made antibodies against itself. Antibodies are what your body makes to fend off harmful viruses, but sometimes, like with Lupus, something goes wrong, and the body begins to attack itself. The ANA is basically a test to see if your body is attacking itself, and if so, how bad it is.
    The ANA should have a number separated by : and another number. For example, my ana is 1:80. That's a very low ANA, and may or may not be indicative of a problem. The first number should almost always be 1, and the second number means how many times they can dilute your blood and still tell the results.
    So a higher ANA would be something like 1:320, or etc.

Now, I'm not sure what she means by mono testing, or whatnot. The good news is that she is taking tests and finding some things that could be flags for certain things, so she's ruling things out by doing this.

I understand about wanting a diagnosis, hehe. I only just got diagnosed yesterday, and i'm not used to knowing what's wrong with me yet!

anyways, I hope that helped even a little, fingers crossed that you get a diagnosis soon
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

Thanks

Thank you! that did help and thats awesome you got a diagnosis. my follow up isnt until oct 18 i may ask to go in sooner i want more tests done ..
    i am super confused i think my ANA is 1:40 does that sound normal? what is normal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elo View Post
    an ANA is basically an anti-nuclear antibody.
    What that means, is that it's a test to see if your body has made antibodies against itself. Antibodies are what your body makes to fend off harmful viruses, but sometimes, like with Lupus, something goes wrong, and the body begins to attack itself. The ANA is basically a test to see if your body is attacking itself, and if so, how bad it is.
    The ANA should have a number separated by : and another number. For example, my ana is 1:80. That's a very low ANA, and may or may not be indicative of a problem. The first number should almost always be 1, and the second number means how many times they can dilute your blood and still tell the results.
    So a higher ANA would be something like 1:320, or etc.

Now, I'm not sure what she means by mono testing, or whatnot. The good news is that she is taking tests and finding some things that could be flags for certain things, so she's ruling things out by doing this.

I understand about wanting a diagnosis, hehe. I only just got diagnosed yesterday, and i'm not used to knowing what's wrong with me yet!

anyways, I hope that helped even a little, fingers crossed that you get a diagnosis soon
    See, Elo, this kind of answer is why you can't leave us!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Nonna (10-03-2011), steve.b (09-27-2011), tgal (09-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamak View Post
    Thank you! that did help and thats awesome you got a diagnosis. my follow up isnt until oct 18 i may ask to go in sooner i want more tests done ..
    i am super confused i think my ANA is 1:40 does that sound normal? what is normal?
    According to MedicineNet.com an ANA of 1:40 is right on the border of normal/positive. Also, the pattern can give the doctor more information. Here are 2 links that might help:
    http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...=402&zoneid=99
    http://www.medicinenet.com/antinucle...dy/article.htm

Waiting just stinks, especially when you feel like your life is on hold somehow. For me getting a diagnosis was a big relief, and I was more worried that I would come away with a shoulder shrug, or worse - a referral to a psychiatrist, than that I would be diagnosed with lupus.
    Having over-reacted to test results and symptoms in the past, I have learned the hard way to save my urgent calls and requests for appointments for times that I really need answers right now. The decision about whether you need to ask for a sooner appointment should probably be based on how sick you are right now, rather than on the test results, IMHO.
    In the meantime, keep a diary of your symptoms and try to figure out what makes them worse (sun, fatigue, stress). Also write down how your life has changed as a result of your illness - especially if you are having to make changes at work. Get copies of your medical records from other doctors - and then take a deep breath and live the best life you can until your appointment.
    Please stay in touch and let us know how things turn out!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Nonna (10-03-2011), tgal (09-23-2011)

Thanks

Thanks just read some info on the links you posted makes me feel better. I read that 95% of people that have lupus have a positive ANA. I had a negative one like a year ago. I strongly feel/felt that I have/had lupus. So hopefully not lupus maybe fibro which is bad but would be muchhhhh better than lupus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by almostcrazy View Post
    Thanks just read some info on the links you posted makes me feel better. I read that 95% of people that have lupus have a positive ANA. I had a negative one like a year ago. I strongly feel/felt that I have/had lupus. So hopefully not lupus maybe fibro which is bad but would be muchhhhh better than lupus
    I suppose that depends on who you talk to. Some people with fibro are quite debilitated, while some folks with lupus live pretty normal lives. I guess the big difference is potential organ damage with lupus. Anyway, I'm so glad you are feeling better about things and hope that you will stick around to let us know how things are going.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

tgal (09-25-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Wonderful comment by Gizmo! Sometimes you don't know which is worse to have. It all depends on the severity of each disease within the person.

I have one other thing to add to this discussion. 95% of the people that they DIAGNOSE with Lupus have a negative ANA however one must remember that many of us go for months or years without getting the "official" diagnosis because the blood tests do not come out as the doctor thinks they should. It should also be noted that these same doctors that are waiting for the blood test to be a certain way before they diagnose don't really understand that there is no test for Lupus.

The point I am making is that I believe if you added in all the people that are having a diagnosis held up because their ANA is negative even though they eventually get diagnosed with the disease or are started on the meds without being given a firm diagnosis that 95% number would go WAY down.

Please note that I am not saying that you have lupus, fibro or anything else for that matter. I just have a strong belief that the 95% number is skewed due to the data that they use and that they dismiss
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (09-25-2011)

Thanks

Thanks Mari, I was trying to figure out a way to say that and you did a beautiful job. The 95% number is a real sticking point with the doctors. Maybe it's really that 95% of doctors won't diagnose lupus without a positive ANA.

BTW, we just got a summary letter from the pulmonologist my daughter saw (because her oxygen level is dropping into the 80's and even 70's for no apparent reason). Anyway, he says her ANA is POSITIVE, based on labs done by another doctor. No one told us that! She's been on Plaquinil, prednisone and methotrexate and it still turned positive. I guess that's good news...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

...... So hopefully not lupus maybe fibro which is bad but would be muchhhhh better than lupus
    just a little comment about my medical situation.

when i was diagnosed with lupus, i had several organs involved..... i was very sick.
    i now have my lupus in good check, with several different medications.

my fibro is not controlled properly. i have bad problems from it, and it is my most severe health issue at the moment.

it is the severity of the desease, not what the name it goes by.

i hope you get good treatment.