Thread: Sunshine and UV umbrellas

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Sunshine and UV umbrellas

Has anyone ever noticed that at times it seems your body can tolerate some sunlight than at other times? Of course, in the summer it's strongest and in winter it's farther away...but physically, despite what season it is, have any of you noticed that there are times when it doesn't trigger anything and other times it does?

In the summer I really have to watch it. Even in the shade! If it's evening and it's shady I seem to be okay but any earlier in the day, it flips the switch. If the cloud cover is thick enough, I soak up the outdoor time, but... if it's summer I've noticed the cloud cover has to be thick.

I think the way it keeps me darting around like a vampire is getting to me. Does anyone know if those UV Golf umbrellas really work? It will probably get me stares but I really miss getting out more and I don't think I'd mind people wondering why I'm carrying an umbrella on a sunny day. Or... I guess I could get used to it.

I can't wear hats. They give me headaches and don't cover enough.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'd try it out. I found that a black umbrella is better for my eyes than a light colored one. With less strain on my eyes I don't tire as easily. I have a small collapsible one that I carry in my bag. People don't give me a second look. Hats give me a headache to; but I found a style I can where.

Good to see you back here. When do you come down from those mountains of yours

Thanks

I bought a UV umbrella from Solumbra about 10 years ago. I don't use it often, but when I do, I am amazed by how much better it cuts the heat (and presumably the UV light) than a rain umbrella. I just picked a pretty yellow, and then I work it! Just kidding, I don't have the attitude, but people don't give me funny looks. Here in Colorado even ordinary folk have to be careful with the sun.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I felt like an idiot at the football game tonight. I have been in pretty bad shape the last few days so I was already not feeling well. Anyway, I covered myself in lotion but by the 3rd Quarter I actually had to put my sunglasses on! I understand the vampire remark. We say that here also. I haven't tried one of those umbrellas. Maybe I should look into that!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~