Thread: TMI but important- Bladder Control

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Default TMI but important- Bladder Control

Ok ladies and gents. I have something I want to talk about today because I believe it is very important and if I had known earlier what was happening things for me may have been different. I was too embarrassed to discuss it with doctors or anyone else and it allowed my disease to progress more then it should have.

I want to make it clear that seizures, or damage to the brain, is rare symptom of Lupus. The majority of people will live a very long time with this disease and never get any type of organ damage and even fewer will get damage to the brain. This is for those rare few out there that may have this issue and be too embarrassed like I was.

Months before I went to the ER with my illness (BP high enough to kill me) I started having an issue that brought me to tears. I had been ill for a long time but didn't like doctors so I didn't go (Yes, I know how smart this was... NOT).During this time I began to wake up in the morning (or in the night) feeling like I had been beat up in the night and to find that I had wet my bed. Horrified! Yes, HORRIFIED. I was 40 years old and I was potty trained LONG ago! It wasn't like a little drip I mean all of it. Even when I started going to the doctors for them to figure out what was wrong with me I never mentioned anything about "that". I couldn't even think about it much less tell someone about it! ER, GP, Rhuemy, Cardiologist. Nope. Never said a single word. This was something that was my secret and I would have never said anything except when I went to the Neuro they handed me papers to fill out (as they all do). This one asked a ton of questions and so many of them fit me! There was one that made me stop and start to cry. "Have you had any loss of bladder control". OMG This was something that was a part of my illness and not something that I need to hide!

Turns out that I was having night seizures. Turns out that the burning rubber smell I had off and on was a symptom too. I ended up having other kinds as I went along and I will always wonder if waiting to say anything caused me to get worse and led to other kinds of seizures. I will never know. I do know that if there is anyone reading this is having that issue please don't be embarrassed and please don't wait to talk to a neuro. It isn't anything to be ashamed of.

If this pertains to you please have it looked at right away
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (09-21-2011), debbie-b (09-22-2011), debstar (09-21-2011), giggle (09-21-2011), Gizmo (09-21-2011), Nonna (09-23-2011), red246 (09-23-2011), ritzbit (09-21-2011), rob (09-21-2011), steve.b (09-22-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for sharing something so personal. I can imagine how difficult it would be to bring up to a doctor.

I was once told to cover a person up if you witnessed them having a seizure because losing control of the bladder is fairly common and this would avoid embarrassment.

Thanks

Ok, I can't relate specifically, but I can tell you an embarassing TMI story to make you feel better. I have lost bladder control in hospital WHILE nurses were lifting me from a cot to a bed. I peed ALL OVER the wonderful women who were taking care of me!! I have never been more horrified in my life. I was only semi-aware at the time so I knew what was happening but was totally unable to control myself or apologize in any way. I know it happens in their profession... but still..... really??????

In all seriousness, though... bladder control can indicate very serious problems and I absolutely agree that it's worth swallowing that moment of embarrassment.
    Last edited by MisCamp; 09-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisCamp View Post
    Ok, I can't relate specifically, but I can tell you an embarassing TMI story to make you feel better. I have lost bladder control in hospital WHILE nurses were lifting me from a cot to a bed. I peed ALL OVER the wonderful women who were taking care of me!! I have never been more horrified in my life. I was only semi-aware at the time so I knew what was happening but was totally unable to control myself or apologize in any way. I know it happens in their profession... but still..... really??????

In all seriousness, though... bladder control can indicate very serious problems and I absolutely agree that it's worth swallowing that moment of embarrassment.
    OK, I lied in this original post and I don't believe in lying so... yes it is embarrassing however nothing is so embarrassing that it is worth keeping quiet about when the information could help others.
    Last edited by tgal; 09-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Mari,
    Several of us have discussed incontinence on several threads. I've mentioned that I have a terrible time with it. I leak every time I stand up, and it's a real emergency by the time I make it to the restroom. I can't make it more than 20-30 minutes between potty breaks anywhere I go. I've never wet the bed, but I've had many times that I didn't manage to make it across the hall to the potty in time in the middle of the night.
    I've mentioned it to my doc, but she dismissed it as "simply a symptom of menopause". The only medical person who has listened to me was my physical therapist. She gave me some exercises to try and talked me into using Poise pads, which are great.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I go from leaking to not being able to release. Bladder control is a major problem at times. this started when I was 5. sucks to be me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Mari,
    Several of us have discussed incontinence on several threads. I've mentioned that I have a terrible time with it. I leak every time I stand up, and it's a real emergency by the time I make it to the restroom. I can't make it more than 20-30 minutes between potty breaks anywhere I go. I've never wet the bed, but I've had many times that I didn't manage to make it across the hall to the potty in time in the middle of the night.
    I've mentioned it to my doc, but she dismissed it as "simply a symptom of menopause". The only medical person who has listened to me was my physical therapist. She gave me some exercises to try and talked me into using Poise pads, which are great.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Oh yes Marla I have that too. This is different and it happens with seizures. I always have wondered if my seizures would have been caught earlier, would they have progressed. They are two different things but both are big issues
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~