Thread: Continued Treatment For Lupus May Boost Survival Of Those Patients With End-Stage Kid

Thanks

Default Continued Treatment For Lupus May Boost Survival Of Those Patients With End-Stage Kid

Researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University have shown that close supervision by rheumatologists and the use of immunosuppressant drugs improve the survival of lupus patients with end-stage kidney disease a finding that could reverse long-standing clinical practice. Their study appeared in the September 1 online edition of the Journal of Rheumatology. At least 1...

More...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

once again the doctors amaze us .................
    if you do not continue medical treatment, you increase the risk of dying.

wow tell us something new.

simple logic ....
    i am sick .... treat me.
    i am very sick .... still treat me.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Wow, I'll sleep so much better knowing this. My life is now complete.

And in other news, researchers around the world now agree that Lupus is indeed spelled with two U's...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

and in other research news.

we are pleased to announce the final letter is pronounsed as "ess"
    not "ass".
    that is reserved for the mindless reseach topic personal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

debstar (09-25-2011), tgal (09-25-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    and in other research news.

we are pleased to announce the final letter is pronounsed as "ess"
    not "ass".
    that is reserved for the mindless reseach topic personal.
    Too funny Steve!

I wonder how many millions of dollars are spent on studies like this that ask simplistic questions that were answered decades ago.

It's like having a study to find out if looking both ways before you cross the street can make you live longer.

Thanks

"Our research shows for the first time that under-supervising and under-treating these lupus patients was associated with an increased risk of death," said Dr. Broder.

Wowwwwwwwwwww. Hey guys, did you know if your sick and dont get treated that your risk of dying increases? I am so happy that these amazing doctors have cleared that up for me, because I thought I'd live so much longer if I didn't treat kidney disease. Glad they cleared that one up for me.

In fact, patients receiving no medication were 13 times more likely to have died compared with patients treated with a combination of immunosuppressive therapies.

WHY WOULD SOMEONE WITH LUPUS EVER NOT BE GETTING MEDICATION WHEN THEY ARE THIS SICK?!?!?

Glad to know all of this is apparently ground breaking and just proves that most rheums are treating their patients like crap.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit For This Useful Post:

steve.b (09-22-2011)

Thanks

Lol, just love the sarcasm

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

First off let me say that I LOVED this thread! I have no idea how I missed it but I laughed like crazy! In light of something that happened recently I do have one serious thing I want to say

Ritz asked (and I laughed loud!) "WHY WOULD SOMEONE WITH LUPUS EVER NOT BE GETTING MEDICATION WHEN THEY ARE THIS SICK?!?!?"

One of the things that Susie, Rob and I do around here is keep the people out of our wonderful family that want to lead people away from taking their medicines and toward unproven methods of treatment. While we have no issues with incorporating natural or unproven therapies while under the watchful eye of your doctor, we will not help in the possible harm that could come by giving up on meds. Too many people, especially young people, just want a "normal" life and can be led astray when someone offers them a life without medicines.

Now.. as to the article itself... I swear sometimes those people are the ones with Cognitive Issues!!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

debstar (09-25-2011), ritzbit (09-25-2011)