Thread: A little Help Needed

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default A little Help Needed

Hey can anyone help me with understanding methotrexate? I take 15mgs once a week... how does it work and what kind of side affects have your all experienced? Any extra percautions I should take other than the folic acid supplement?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chef marv View Post
    Hey can anyone help me with understanding methotrexate? I take 15mgs once a week... how does it work and what kind of side affects have your all experienced? Any extra percautions I should take other than the folic acid supplement?
    Methotrexate, in conjunction with some of the other meds, is a chemotherapy drug. AI diseases such as Lupus make our immune system work too hard and attack our own body. MTX and steroids lower our immune system and hopefully get us out of our flare. I will post a link below that gives information about the different Lupus meds.

As for side effects, I don't really have anything except a little bit of an upset stomach. I fixed the majority of that by taking it before bed

Hope this helps!

Lupus Medications
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

wow tgal.. how olng have you had lupus? you seem to know your stuff... Thanks... and i do notice the upset stomach... i off set that by eating more... lol.. i will take any excuse to eat more

Thanks

The MTX pills gave me alot of nausea, I was then put on the shots, no more nausea, just weakness the day after.
    Good luck to you.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).