Thread: Changing our diet causes remission

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Changing our diet causes remission

The following site about a book that you can get electronically for $19.00 regarding nutrition that can "eliminate" symptoms of lupus. *link removed*
    I purchased it. I haven't finished reading it yet but, I made a change in my life style a couple months ago and no longer eat white products, i.e. white rice, flour, bread, sugar. I eat only whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. I use only Olive Oil, Coconut Oil (yes it is absolutely the best oil and is a natural healing oil) do the research on it! I stay away from Nutrasweet and Splenda and have gone to using Stevia which is a plant sweetener I get at the health food store. If you want to feel better go check it out. I am amazed at the difference in changing what I eat made.
    :lol:

Thanks

Avoiding the refined "white" foods sounds like a great idea. I think diet can be a huge weapon in dealing with auto-immune and for that matter all disorders. And aspartame is outright dangerous in my opinion to all people and should be avoided at all costs. Diet soda is a scary thing. That is great advise. in the book, and I hope it helps you keep pain and illness at bay.
    There is thinking that wheat products may not be great for those with auto-immune disorders, but I have much to learn in that area still.
    Good luck

Thanks

I agree that diet can help. I try really hard to eat mostly whole foods and not those that are refined or over processed. I'm also a vegetarian. I'm glad the issue of artificial sweetners came up becasue they can be really bad for people with autoimmune diseases. I noticed that since I have gotten sick, my body won't tollerate artificial sweetners and they make me feel very sick.

Thanks

Artificial sweeteners are terrible, especially aspartame (I don't remember where I heard this from: aspartame converts to formaldehyde when it gets hot':shock:'...lovely thought). I switched from Sugar to Xylitol. It is a natural sweetener and it actually reduces the amount of bacteria in your mouth which helps prevent tooth decay for those of us with dry mouth (It's the ingredient used to sweeten dental gums like Peelu). I tried Splenda and Stevia but couldn't tolerate the aftertaste. I have very sensitive taste buds. Xylitol is also safe for those of us that are susceptible to candida overgrowth. I haven't been using it long enough to recommend it for every situation but it's worth your looking into.

Thanks

Aspartame turns to formaldehyde? Hmm...sounds like a good preservative to me...

(really - ICK!)

I've seen that Lupus Recovery Diet book website, haven't ordered the book, though. I have changed my diet considerably - try to eat mainly organic. If I don't buy organic fruit - and even if I do - I wash it carefully before I eat it. Use soap or one of those made-for-produce cleaners.

Eat low saturated fats - sat fat causes inflamation.
    Eat lots of cold water fish - wild caught salmon, trout, sardines, etc. Watch out for high mercury fish, and stay away from farm raised - they're NOT good!
    Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
    Watch out for cheeses, whole milks, etc. Some people should stay away from dairy entirely, I do eat some.

THere are lots of wonderful vegetarian cookbooks out there, it becomes second nature after a while.

Thanks

Default how are you doing now?

I saw your post about diet (march 2006) and i am wondering how you are feeling now?
    I am ready to do anything to feel better and it makes sense to me to change what i put into my body.

thanks so much

Thanks

Default XTLITOL is poisonous to cats and dogs

So if you do use products sweetened with xylitol, don't let your animals accidentally eat any of these products.

Thanks

I stay away from sugar entirely, unless I am baking...
    I use honey to sweeten decaf iced tea/coffee/hot tea, or on cereal.
    It has made a difference.
    Oh, and I use real butter. I have found that I use less of it because it tastes better, AND I heard a doctor on tv say that the human body processes margarine like it would process axle grease. yum-oh. (not)