Thread: red patches on shins and tops of feet?

Thanks

Default red patches on shins and tops of feet?

HI I have had symptoms for nearly 10 years...joint pain, extreme fatigue, headaches, kidney problems, positive ANA etc....I am not yet diagnosed, appointment with another rheumatologist on Oct 31. My question is...I have had red patches appear on my legs and feet off and on since i was 15 ( I am now 40)...right now I have red patches on the tops of my feet, ankles, and up both of my shins. and one patch on my hand over my middle finger knuckle..they don't itch and they stay quite a while then go. They always come back and seem to get worse when I am out in the sun. The doctors I have seen so far seem "baffled" by them....Has anyone here had red patches in similar areas, legs and feet?
    Thanks..Jackie
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Suess

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Jackie:

There are several different skin rashes that occur with Lupus. Most of them are photosensitive (get worse when exposed to the sun or ultraviolet light). Sometimes we also get ulcers on the inside of our nose or mouth.
    There are a variety of ways that lupus skin rashes can appear. The distinctive rash is called the "butterfly rash," which is a rash that extends across the cheeks of the face and the bridge of the nose. It can be flat or raised; it can be bright red or it can be just a mild blushing, light pink coloration to the skin. It appears on the face in a pattern that looks like a butterfly; the wings are beneath both eyes and the body of the butterfly covers the bridge of the nose.
    Another classic rash found in lupus is the discoid rash. This rash is coin-shaped or oval in shape, like a disk and it is seen on areas of the skin that are exposed to sunlight. Discoid lesions (sores) tend to be red and raised and become scaly. When they heal they can leave behind a scar. These rashes can also result in a change in coloring of the skin, making the area around the lesion either lighter or darker in color. These discoid lesions may appear on the scalp; on the face in a butterfly distribution; or in areas where the skin receives sun exposure. These Discoid lupus lesions are usually painless and typically do not itch.
    Another type of lupus skin rash is classified as the subacute cutaneous lesions. These are lesions characterized by redness. They are also coin-shaped, very photosensitive and they get worse when exposed to ultra-violet light. These are lesions that do not leave behind scars, and can appear over large areas of the body. People who have subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE-a subset of cutaneous lupus) may experience systemic symptoms such as: muscle and joint pain, fever and
    general discomfort.
    Treatment of lupus rashes may include corticosteroid creams or ointments applied to the rash or lesions. If the lesion does not respond to cream or ointment, the doctor may prescribe injections of corticosteroids directly into the lesion. If you particularly widespread lesions, oral corticosteroid medications may be prescribed or the doctor may prescribe anti-malarial medications such as Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine).
    In addition to these medications, sunscreens are an important part of the prevention of photosensitivity (where skin exposed to ultra-violet light reacts by developing a rash) reactions that may occur with lupus lesions.
    Here is a website that might have more information for you:
    http://www.lupus.org/education/broch...indisease.html

I hope that I've answered your question. Let me know if you need anything further!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie