Thread: It's hard to believe it's been ten years...

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default It's hard to believe it's been ten years...

I was just thinking,

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since the attacks on 9/11/01. It seems like it was just yesterday. I remember seeing the news just after the first plane hit the first tower. Being a pilot, I thought to myself that on such a clear day, this can't be an accident. But, I put that thought out my mind, dismissing it as me just reading too much into the situation.

Then I watched live, as millions of others did, as the second plane came screaming up the Hudson River flying way too low, and crashed right into the second tower. I'll never forget the terrible, sinking, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach at that moment. As horrible as that moment was, I could not imagine the situation getting worse. But it did. All those people in New York, in Washington D.C., and Shanksville Pennsylvania, just gone. All of those families and friends who lost the ones they love. It's still hard to grasp.

We must never forget those who died in the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, Shanksville, and in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 09-11-2011 at 07:32 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Nonna (09-12-2011), ritzbit (09-11-2011), Saysusie (09-12-2011), tgal (09-11-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is hard to believe but we must never forget. Today the local fire companies are having a rememberance ceramoney at our local park. My son has been a fire cheif for years and my grandson and son- in- law are all with the same company and i am proud of them and their brotherhood all over. Bonita

Thanks

I was only 8 when this happened. I didnt even know about it until I came home from school because they didn't tell us what was happening. I dont remember much from the whole event but this morning I watched the live coverage that came from that day. I cant comprehend what all those people went through and are still going through. I watched Flight 93 last night with my mom. I think its amazing that they did what they did.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I will never forget that morning. My daughter and I were living in Cali. at that time so I woke at 6 AM (8 on the East Coast) and turned on the news just after the first one hit. There was so much confusion at that point that I sat down on the edge of my bed trying to understand. At about that moment the 2nd plane came flying so low and all I could think was "no! No! it really isn't going to do that". Then it did. Fire, smoke, dust. I sat there crying and dust flying everywhere. Terror as the people started jumping out of the windows after making the decision that they would rather jump then be killed by the fire. Next came the pentagon.

It was almost too much to take in. It all started to blend together. The courageous passengers that overtook plane #4. They chose to die to save others. The words that still play in my head when I think about that fateful day. "Let's Roll". Towers falling and people running and screaming as they white powder filled the air and the concrete started rolling down the street. Suddenly remembering that the fire men were in there trying to rescue people! More death. More destruction. More fear.

No, I will never forget. I will always remember those that died needlessly and those that worked tirelessly to helping the living come out from under the rubble.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

10 yrs ago I was working and my hubby was staying home w/the kids. I remember driving home and wondering if I'd make it there, looking up to the sky - watching for more planes. How could this happen? Would I see my kids, my husband, my dad again? That night we went out to the shore, we could still smell the smoke from the city.
    Lauren

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I was watching the dedication ceremonies of the United Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville PA yesterday, and I listened to a speech that was simply one of the finest I've ever heard. It came from a man who isn't really considered to be a particularly compelling, or memorable public speaker. The man was Vice President Joseph Biden, and he gave a speech that was poignant, gracious, and inspiring.

While speaking to the families of those who died on United Flight 93, he said this about their lost loved ones-

"My prayer for you, is that ten years later, their memory is able to bring a smile to your lips, before it brings a tear to your eye."

The speech is just over 13 minutes long, and is heartfelt, and beautiful beyond words. Here it is-

Last edited by rob; 09-11-2011 at 07:34 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

n.mac (09-11-2011), Saysusie (09-12-2011)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you so much Rob, for posting this. I did not see this particular memorial and yes, it was moving & I loved the Maya Angelou quote also. I did spend the entire day watching different memorials. For some reason, yesterday (9/11/11) was a very, very difficult day for me and I found that I cried over and over again. The loss..so immense, so deep, so life-altering, and so profound for so many.
    I remember that day so vividly because I experienced something that is still unexplainable to this day. But what I experienced gave me hope for those whose lives were lost, who were injured and who so bravely fought to save the lives of and to help others. I agree with Biden when he said that, 'when we think of those whose lives were lost, we can look up to heaven and know that there is not a single tragedy that we cannot overcome'. What I experienced that day revealed that same exact sentiment to me.
    There is an insurmountable strength and endurance and humanity in us that ensures that we will always conquer evil and hatred.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!