Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Old Steroids

Thanks

Haha not to laugh but that is kinda funny. I understand you then, but that sucks and is so annoying that the Lupus actually can cause the chemical unbalance like how can that be fixed, will my anti depressants help that? Well hope the Plaq can do that then and make it better! I have been taking the steroids for about a year now, but I just dont know if that could be causing the depression or confusion because mood wise I have been fine since having Lupus for a year, well diagnosed for a year, up until the last few weeks I haven't been feeling great! But I have been feeling dumber (see I don't think that's a word now I'm making up my own languid) like I was doing TEE last year but just don't feel as 'with it' this year and simple things just seem harder then they were before. Then again it's been a while since use needed to use my brain so could just be that too. Thanks!

Thanks

Default Steroids

I know one thing about steroids & that is I despise the medication for it's side effects. I'm sure everyone else does too. Prednisone helped induce me into depressed, bipolar, & anger. Not a fun drug to be on @ all. The weight gain wouldn't be so bad if it was in the right places, & as fas as a runny nose I never connected the two together but yes I do myself get frequent nose runs that just come without any warning. I'm sure with this drug there are side effects many of us haven't even began to connect to prednisone , are most dreaded helpful steroid.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have been on both plaquenil and steroids for over 2 years. Plaquenil never caused me any issues, the steroids on the other hand, I look like a balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! I am now on MTX as well as we try to drop my steroid dose and the one thing that the Pharmacist reminds me everytime that I go pick up the prescriptions is that these drugs weaken my immune system so things like colds, runny noses. flu's or whatever usually are not from the drug itself. Those things tend to come about more often when on these drugs because I am more susceptible to getting things due to the drop in my immune system. Basically, I don't have the immune system to fight off all of those bugs.

Just a little FYI from my pharmacist
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Jeannetta (09-14-2011)

Thanks

It's so hard to know what is a link between the drugs and side effects or what is just a coincidence

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Apart from the weird, little side effects I haven't had too bad a deal with the steroids. I lost a whole bunch of kgs last year when i was sick so didnt put on much weight when i started the pred. This time ive been on them for roughly 5 months and just finished 2 days ago. fingers crossed i can stay off them for a while, rheumy said the latest blood tests are looking good too which im pleased about. Rescheduled my appointment with him till i'd been off the steroids for a while just to see how i go. plaquenil has been amazing too, no side effects and really notice it when i forget to take a dose. dont think i'd ever willingly go off that one.

@Yolly - i know the feeling about not feeling with it, i hate writing reports at work these days because sometimes i just cant get my thoughts out. Just glad i finished my degree before i had all this!!
    Diagnosed with SLE and Antiphospholipid Syndrom - June 2010

Thanks

Haha lucky, my Lupus was diagnosed last year as I finished my year 12 TEE and I want to start Uni next year thanks for your comments