Thread: peri menopause and lupus

Thanks

Default peri menopause and lupus

how can peri menopause affect lupus? I have many lupus symptoms and some elevated levels but ANA was normal. Naturopath thinks I did such a good job putting my flare to rest it's not showing up. But the peri menopause is still a bit out of whack enough I think to cause a flare if I can't sleep. The nasty nasty attitude is being controled by herbal menopause supplements the naturopathic doc prescribed. The pain is so in control with eliminating cow milk and wheat, cleaned up diet.

My biggest problem is hot flashes or should I say HOT FLASHES disturbing my sleep. I have recovered enough to return to work after being a stay at home mom for 10 years. I start very soon. Now I worry that waking up every 20 mins will ruin me. I wondered in my condidtion I have trouble regulating my temp and can't handle heat. I wonder if I over react to the hot flash making it even worse? The menopause coach said if I take the hormone replacements the same thing would happen when I wean off the hormones. My husband has had to move to the other bedroom as his tossing wakes me up.

I have been trying valerian along with 5 HTP and if I take 2 benedryl I can get some sleep and sleep through some of the hot flashes. I have to sleep with the windows open and a fan in 50 degree nights. When I get hot I uncover, then cold and recover under the blankets, open window close window. Neither of my sisters are in my boat and mom passed so no relatives to compare how long I will have to deal with this. I'm worried I won't be able to work-part time is ok with me, some money.

Having have an excruciation Oct 10 - May 2011 I just dug myself out of a whole. Any ideas? experiences? My trusted female naturopath has left the state, I have a new male reg doc( no clue).

Thanks

Hello you poor woman. I hear you loud and clear. I have been resting and off the forum for a bit, but I want you to know what happened to me so maybe you can get some help. Lupus hit my thyroid again. The thyroid regulates your endometrium. I also am going through Menapause. I swelled up horribly, had night sweats and awakened 9 x a night. They increased my thyroid hormone and put me on progesterone. Water pills and low salt low caffeine diet help. The menstrual horror is over too. I still have terrible night sweats but I don't so often. Call your gynocologist and tell her you need some help through. I used to throw clots, so they could not give me estrogen. I am full of energy, less tearful and lost 9 lbs. Good luck to you dear. Please PM me if you have any questions. I am on vacation and laying low from stress. Hugs to you. Tammy

Thanks

Default peri menopause and lupus

Hi Tammy, I know the gynecologist ( a women) would just offer hormones which I hear you go through it all over again when you stop them. So I am trying the natural herbal way. So far they checked the thyroid-ok, bleeding is a bit heavy but only 1-2 days every 39 days!!!!. I am so much less teary but when PMS hits, I hide ; )

Can anyone survive waking 9x a night? I was already waking 5x a night to rollover from fibro pain, what ever pain. Just when the kids don't wake out up all night it's not fair hot flashes do. My 14 y.o. son think I am the mom from Hades! He divorced me yesterday. I told him if he hates it here he can call dept youth services and request another family. He said he didn''t know how to do that. Guess he's stuck with a lupie lady. He doesn't know I am sick with lupus symptoms, well he knows mom is a basket case.

I was eating cow milk icecream and then bought an icecream maker. It really help cool me. Now to make low fat low sugar; )
    I made cold gazpatcho soup, ice coffee in the morning.

Another hard thing is I have a very old deaf dog who is very itchy, tried every thing. I don't want steroids but I'm about to slug her with steroids!!! She itches often at night. She won't sleep alone, allergies. I give her 2 benedryl and me 2.

Thanks

Thanks

Tammy: Do you recall what your TSH levels have been before going on the hormone? Mine has finally started to go on the fritz. My daughter and my mother are both hypo but I'm only just now showing up slightly hypo at the age of 47 and my doctors aren't reacting. My TSH is high but not excessively so. Still, I don't think *zero* reaction is right. I'm losing weight but only because I'm freakin' starving myself. That's why they're not reacting. They think if I can lose weight it's not a problem. Well, yeah, but I'm eating 600-800 calories a day.

Anyway - and yeah, I'm perimenopausal and wake up sweating in the middle of the night and I hate hate hate it. One night I can't sleep, the next day I can't wake up. sigh.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ah perimenopause, I know it well. I don't have hot flashes, I have my own global warming. Night sweats? been there, drowned in them. They lasted about 6 months for me. I still have hot flashes 24/7, but at least I'm not drowning anymore. I recommend a chill pad. I know Walgreens carries them. You can get them in 2 different sizes there either $19.99 or $49.99. I got the small one. On the Walgreens site it is called Forever Cool. I love mine! I put it behind my back when a hot flash hits and it helps cool me down quickly.
    As far as the mood from hades is concerned, I'm still there however mine lately has more to do with my husband's attack that my hormones. Basically, they, for the moment are feeding off each other so yeah, I'm a real joy to live with sometimes...
    I don't take hormones, but I do take melatonin and a benadryl every night. According to hubby, I snore VERY LOUDLY so the benadryl helps immensely with that as my snoring is caused by allergies.
    Other than the heat issue, I've not had any problems with menopause (what, like I need an excuse to be a #itch?!)

Good luck!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KCat View Post
    Tammy: Do you recall what your TSH levels have been before going on the hormone? Mine has finally started to go on the fritz. My daughter and my mother are both hypo but I'm only just now showing up slightly hypo at the age of 47 and my doctors aren't reacting. My TSH is high but not excessively so. Still, I don't think *zero* reaction is right. I'm losing weight but only because I'm freakin' starving myself. That's why they're not reacting. They think if I can lose weight it's not a problem. Well, yeah, but I'm eating 600-800 calories a day.

Anyway - and yeah, I'm perimenopausal and wake up sweating in the middle of the night and I hate hate hate it. One night I can't sleep, the next day I can't wake up. sigh.
    You are going to love this. Most docs think 3-5 is ok. My endocrinologist keeps me around 1. I have hoshimotos thyroiditis caused by lupus hitting my thyroid. Because I swing up & down in my numbers she keeps my number low. I love her for it. I was almost two and it truly made things worse. I am alive again! I also have fibromyalgia and she increased my vit. D and spasms are more manageable. The low back pain was horrible. All that is gone.

Thanks

Perimenopause, no, full blown menopause for me and that for over six years.
    But I have to say it has gotten less. In the beginning I have had about 30 hotflashes a day and 3-5 at night. Now it is down to about 3-5 a day and 1 at night.
    My doctor would not put me on hormones because I smoke. Now I am glad that I went through it without hormones.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovedbyHim View Post
    You are going to love this. Most docs think 3-5 is ok. My endocrinologist keeps me around 1. I have hoshimotos thyroiditis caused by lupus hitting my thyroid. Because I swing up & down in my numbers she keeps my number low. I love her for it. I was almost two and it truly made things worse. I am alive again! I also have fibromyalgia and she increased my vit. D and spasms are more manageable. The low back pain was horrible. All that is gone.
    Thanks much. I was at 6.7 in April. At 5.8. in June. But no thyroid autoantibodies so no indication of Hashimoto's. Appears it's just a failing thyroid. I have to contact the rheumy about other stuff and will find out if she still wants to repeat the TSH as she had considered doing. If I keep bouncing around she may not want to do anything. I know some docs are starting to treat "borderline" cases more. My mom and my daughter were not borderline but clearly I'm not strongly hypo. Still, as much as I'm sick of all the pills, that's one I wouldn't mind adding if it meant less exhaustion and perhaps other symptoms.

Thanks again for the info.
    KCat

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KCat For This Useful Post:

lovedbyHim (09-07-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I can say I truly understand, I have had hot flashes for several years now. My family says I have about froze them to death the last few months. I keep the air on even if the weather is in the 70's. At might I cover and uncover all night, turn fans on and off air on and off. It's driving my husband nuts. He has said he was moving to another room if I keep up. so I can truly relate.

I hope that it gets better for you, I know how hard it can be. will be keeping you in my prayers.
    Lea
    SLE Lupus diagnosed 8/8/11
    COPD,Raynauda's, IBS, Asthma, Sleep Apena, Amenia and Arthritis,Diabetes,Reflux TMJ, temporal arteritis
    Half dead, cripple and crazy but still above ground.
    Medication
    Novolog injections, Medrol injections, MTX injections, Dicyclomine, Plaqulin, Iron, Spreva inhaler, Advair inhaler, Albuteral inhaler, Fish Oil, Calcium, Diclofenac, Citalopram and doxcycline

Thanks

LOL - I can relate, too.
    I thought that I was really into menopause a while back. I would go for three to five months with nothing. Now that I'm off of the MTX, I'm regular and monthly again.
    I'm 54, but I think that nursing all of those babies for so long kept enough eggs stored in my ovaries to last 'til I'm 60!
    I'm dealing with the night-sweats, too. I wake up about every 90 minutes with the legs spasming, sweating and the bladder full. It's no fun. I also hate the Tempurpedic foam that Jeff put on the mattress for his back. That thing holds heat, and makes me sweat even more.
    I long for a decent night of sleep!
    Hugs,
    Marla