Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Wild Fires

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KCat View Post
    It may have been 24 days over 100 v. 24 days of 100 or over. Be safe! We've got enough concrete and bayou down here in League City that it's not as dangerous though go down the road a piece toward Friendswood and the fields could be at risk.
    I have decided that I really like you! You won't let me slack and give out bad info! That is the way we like it here!

CLIMATE...
    THE TEMPERATURE HAS REACHED 100 DEGREES AT BOTH HOUSTON AND
    COLLEGE STATION THIS AFTERNOON...CAPPING OFF WHAT WILL GO DOWN AS
    HOTTEST MONTH OF ANY MONTH ON RECORD FOR SOUTHEAST TEXAS. FOR
    COLLEGE STATION...THIS IS THE 58TH DAY OF 100-DEGREE
    TEMPERATURES...TYING THE ALL-TIME RECORD FOR MOST IN A YEAR SET IN
    1917. THE TEMPERATURE REACHED 100 DEGREES A TOTAL OF 30 OUT OF THE
    31 DAYS THIS MONTH IN HOUSTON...SOMETHING THAT SEEMED ALMOST
    UNTHINKABLE PRIOR TO THIS MONTH. THE AVERAGE DAILY HIGH
    TEMPERATURE IN HOUSTON FOR AUGUST WILL EXCEED 100 DEGREES FOR THE
    FIRST TIME EVER FOR ANY MONTH. THE MONTHLY AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN
    HOUSTON WILL END UP CLOSE TO 90.4 DEGREES...WHICH EXCEEDS THE
    PREVIOUS RECORD HOTTEST MONTH (AUGUST 2010) BY A WHOPPING 2.7
    DEGREES.

The above was posted on the KHOU weather board as well as by Dr. Jeff Master's on www.weatherunderground.com.

Are you seeing any smoke down your way? Glad to know that things are safe down your way. I really don't think my house or those around me are in much danger because we leave in a town (a small one) and there is brush all around.This morning we have tons of smoke and ash but it cleared out late in the morning. We now have it back again and the fires they thought were out are coming back aline.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Not seeing it but smelling it and have for days. I thought I was imagining it but I have a super sensitive nose and even my husband was noticing it but we couldn't believe we were picking up on it all the way down here. Then a friend of my daughter mentioned smelling it and she lives nearby. The statistic I heard must have been 24 days *above* 100, then. From ol' blue eyes on Channel 2. You name it, it's ridiculous and Hellish. I just know that today is gorgeous if you can just stop thinking about how deadly this dry weather is. And I can't. I was so disappointed that Lee didn't come this way that I cried. My husband was saying, "but a cold front is coming." Um. Yeah. I just cried some more. My daughter is up in Dallas fires up there in Midlothian, Possum Kingdom, Corsicana. Geez, this just sucks beyond measure. I have friends not far from Bastrop with land and horses.

Thanks

Ladies,
    Do you remember when there were huge fires in Mexico about ten or so years ago, and the smoke came up into Texas? The smell was awful, and it triggered bad asthma attacks for both of my youngest daughters - they were both hospitalized. That smoke can carry for long distances and really do damage.
    I'm glad that you are staying safe. I'm also glad that my asthmatic girls are living in other states now.
    Keep reporting for us so that we know that you are OK. Man, I hope that Texas gets some rain soon. We've already had to replace the air conditioner on the house - our renters were suffering - and I don't like to think of what condition our pecan trees must be in.
    Take care, girls!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i hope texas does not have the effect western australia had just before winter this year.
    it was dry for so long that the trees were dying.
    the ground was that dry it started shifting.

winter was a real blessing for us. some native forrests were closed, the tree dyeback was so extreme.

Thanks

As was mentioned earlier, it's hard to believe we have floods destroying one part of our country and fires destroying another. It makes you really wonder what the hell is happening. Please do what ever you all need to do to stay safe. Prayers go out to all of you.
    Sue

'Friends are like stars.....You don't always see them, but you know they are there.'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    i hope texas does not have the effect western australia had just before winter this year.
    it was dry for so long that the trees were dying.
    the ground was that dry it started shifting.

winter was a real blessing for us. some native forrests were closed, the tree dyeback was so extreme.
    yes, they are predicting thousands (tens of?) native trees dying this winter due to the drought. They expect the trees will not have the root strength to handle any cold snaps and we've had three very unusually cold winters in a row now. Snow all the way down in Galveston which is very rare. we're still recovering from all the trees lost from Ike in '08. I swear it's one thing after another. And like lacey mentioned, it's just been all over the country one bizarre extreme v. the other. hurricanes dumping absurd amounts of water in Vermont. Fires across the Southwest and Florida. 110+ up into the upper Midwest. Ridiculous.