Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Wild Fires

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default Texas Wild Fires

Hello Everyone,

I don't know how much, if anything, you have heard about the Texas Fires but I want you to please keep this state in your thoughts. Texas is in Severe drought. We have had really no substantial rainfall for over a year. We have also been more hot this summer then any recorded. In the Houston area there was not a single day in August that we were below 100 degrees. Dry and Hot days caused all the local ponds to dry up, many of our lakes have stopped boating on them because the lake is too low (You can actually stand up in the middle of one of the most popular lakes in our area). The rivers are so low that there are some places that you can walk halfway out into the river bed without getting your feet wet. I have never seen anything like this.

I tell you this because today my state is on fire. I know that is a little over overstated but over a million acres have been burned as of yesterday and today there have been more. I have one fire about 15 min away from me in one direction and 15 in another direction. One of the fires is spreading down the path I used to drive to work. I have friends and former co-workers that are being evacuated and the smell of fire hits when I walk out of my house.

I know this isn't about Lupus but please keep us in your thoughts because none of this is going to end until we get a substantial amount of rain. I need to go now but please pray if you pray, send up good thoughts if you do that. Anything to help this situation
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

It is amazing one part of our country is suffering from flooding while another is suffering intense heat and drought-reminds me of an old twilight zone episode about bitter cold and unbearable heat.

Just goes to show balance in all things is best!

As always you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sending tonz of prayers & hugs!!!!
    Lauren

Thanks

sending you my thoughts and many hugs i know what it is like we were right in the middle of fire once and could not return to home for a week luckily it did not reach us just 1 street away luv kiml

Thanks

Hey Mari,
    I've been following the news reports. It is really getting bad there. It's really bad when you are hoping for a hurricane to hit the state!
    That fire that is close to you sounds a bit too close for comfort. Do you and your daughter have a good escape plan in case you have to evacuate (fur babies and all)?
    Pay close attention to the news and get out of there if you must!
    Thinking of you.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

It's awful. And TS Lee just made things worse by adding to the winds. A friend's friend just post an amazing photo of the fires in Austin area. Amazing and horrifying. I just don't know what to think anymore. Houston had a record 24 days of 100 or above this year in August. Most ever. Just beyond our ken.

I want to cry but it's too damn dry.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KCat View Post
    It's awful. And TS Lee just made things worse by adding to the winds. A friend's friend just post an amazing photo of the fires in Austin area. Amazing and horrifying. I just don't know what to think anymore. Houston had a record 24 days of 100 or above this year in August. Most ever. Just beyond our ken.

I want to cry but it's too damn dry.
    The news said we didnt have one day in August under 100. I am further NW and we were several degrees hotter then the official temp. Doesn't really matter. Everything is dead and are now burning. The pictures are horrible. Because this isn't actually in Houston there is no local news about it except for breaking it every hour. I downloaded an App that lets me hear the Fire Fighters scanner for this area. I am so thankful for that because without that, and facebook, we would be in the dark.

@ Marla.. yes, we have a plan. As I have said I really don't think it will get to us but I did go ahead and pack up some clothes, daughters baby blanket, dog food just in case. Sorry I am not posting much I am a bit distracted today.

Here is wishing each of you a pain free night (or day for our friends across the pond)
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

this friend - across the pond - is hoping you are spared the fires.

i had the missfortune to be involved in the two worst "ash wednesday" fires in australias history.

when i was in the airforce, we were involved in fire assistance programs.

i hope the weather breaks soon for you.
    mother nature has a strange sence of humour at times.

Thanks

Thinking of you and praying that you will be safe.
    My two daughters are living in Texas, one near Houston, one in Dallas.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

It may have been 24 days over 100 v. 24 days of 100 or over. Be safe! We've got enough concrete and bayou down here in League City that it's not as dangerous though go down the road a piece toward Friendswood and the fields could be at risk.