Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better introduce myself :-)

Thanks

Default Better introduce myself :-)

Hi all,

Since I am 'lurking' around in the Forum, I figure I best introduce myself.

My name is Deb, we live in Western Australia and the reason I have joined this Forum is that my (much) younger sister has been diagnosed with Lupus. I have told her about this forum, after reading up on here and she has now joined also (YollyDolly).

As a family member I try to be as supportive, understanding and encouraging as I can, which in turn means I am researching and educating myself as much as possible on the disease.

I also hope that the forum will provide understanding and support for Yol, especially in a way that she can see she is not alone and many of you are going thru similar experiences (it is always nice to know you are not alone).

Anyways, I hope all of you are keeping as well as can be and I look forward to getting to know you a lot better.

Thanks for reading

Debs

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

welcome debs,

i have a lot of admiration for family of sufferers, who are as supportive as you.

thank you for taking the time to find us.

it is great to have you here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

MaryS42 (09-12-2011), tgal (09-04-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Debstar! Welcome to the forum (: Your sister is lucky to have you in her in her life.
    We have a section in our forum specifically for Friends and Family of people with SLE, and you're not the only one on here supporting a loved one.
    I'm not sure if you've read the Spoon Theory or not, but if you're looking to understand more what it's like to live with a chronic illness, then perhaps reading it might give you a little insight.

Thanks for joining the forum and trying to be a supportive person in your sisters life - I'm sure it means a lot to her. It's very hard when people don't understand what you're going through - but even harder when they don't seem to care or believe that you're sick.

So, just, thanks. On my behalf and hers.

Spoon Theory
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

YollyDolly (09-04-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Debs! First let me welcome you to WHL! Has you have (hopefully) figured out this is a wonderful group of people who came here the same reason you and your sister have. It is nice to be understood and not feel lonely. It is nice to go when you have questions (even if they don't have answers someone will usually say "OMG that happens to me too!" LOL. You should be applauded for being so supportive of your sister and for trying to educate yourself. Many of us don't have that. As was mentioned before "The Spoon Theory" is a great way get at least a glimpse of how we feel sometimes.

Please feel free to look around. There is wonderful information in the old threads or if you have specific questions please feel free to ask! We are family here and I want to welcome both you and your sister to our WHL family. We really are glad to have you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (09-13-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for making us feel so welcome I have read the Spoon Theory and agree it is a very good, nice way to try and get others to understand what it is like for all of you.

I think the main purpose I have at the moment is to try and encourage my sister to accept the situation/condition and in turn to be pro-active in trying to manage it.

I look forward to getting to know you all a bit better

Debs

Thanks

Hi Debs,

You are an awesome sister.
    This is just what Yolly Dolly needs right now, understanding and support from her family. I can tell you from experience, it does help alot.
    There is so much we have to deal with, it nice to have someone close to you, who can help you deal with this ugly disease.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

debstar (09-05-2011), tgal (09-05-2011), YollyDolly (09-12-2011)

Thanks

Hi Debs,
    Welcome to WHL. As others have said, you are a wonderful sister for being so supportive of Yolanda. It will help her so much to have you learning about this disease right along with her, and when she needs an advocate, you can be there for her.
    You are great!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Deb I have just joined today. Where is Stoneville? I live in Rockingham WA.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

Hi Desley,

Welcome, although that feels a bit odd since I am new myself

Stoneville is in the Hills, just past Mundaring.

Debs

Thanks

A beautiful place! Welcome it is so nice that you are supportive of your sister. I have just finished a six week course for people living with a cronic disease. They main point most of us had was the lack of understanding and support from our friends and close family .... You are the rarity thank you and I have a great deal of respect for you and your support for your sister.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desleywr For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (09-13-2011), tgal (09-06-2011), YollyDolly (09-06-2011)