Thread: Sleep, what's that??!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Sleep, what's that??!!

Since I've had a bad night. I couldn't sleep; so of course I'm now in pain from trying various positions. I thought I would start this thread. I think we may have had one before; but .... You know you have brain fog when you can't remember ....

I thought we could list the various trick we use to sleep or rest our bodies. I think I personally need to see an ENT about my sinuses. Since I sleep propped up on 4 pillows. If I sleep flat I get an awful headache. So between my head and my back and my neck I can't win. Had a great nights sleep Thursday night though. Had a great Friday, but live for the weekends.

So sleep habits and how you sleep/get to sleep is the topic.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Nonna! Sorry u had a bad night! Hmmm.........sleep tricks...........only have one and well....this isn't really the place for it! *GRIN*! Other than that, nope don't got any, sometimes reading.
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

i agree with red,
    there is only 1 thing that allows me to sleep within 1/2 an hour of going to bed.

i usually spend 40 plus minutes tossing, waiting for my body to allow me to sleep.

i have learnt to rest during these times, but cant actually sleep.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Some help you all are - I live in the barren desert. Boo Hooo
    No help there.
    LOL, that's Life

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I use two pillows to keep my head propped otherwise I have trouble breathing from mucus. I put a pillow between my legs when I lay on my side and I hug a stuffed animal all the time. If I'm too sore to lay on my side then I will lay on my stomach. I used to have a lot of problems with sleeping but now I can sleep 10 hours a night and about 4-5 more during the day and I am still exhausted when bedtime roles around that I can sleep right away.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Well as you know, Nonna, I don't sleep much either (I am often thankful for Nonna and our "words with friends" games on my cell). My sleep schedule has been horrible for years. When I first became ill I was put on Ammitriptyline (SP). I started on low doses and they worked for a little while. I went from 25 mg at first to the 300 mg that I am on now and I have no come to a place that even that doesn't make me sleep. What it does it make me sleep hard when I get to sleep but it no longer makes me sleep and I no longer know if it is helping the pain because I have so much of it as it is.

Anyway... I like the idea of tips for sleeping. So far I have none
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Nonna,
    I agree with Lauren and Steve about the very best way to get to sleep - LOL!
    My problem is that I don't stay asleep. I tend to wake up every three hours all night with my muscles spasming, and then I have to get up to go to the restroom.
    Getting back to sleep after that is the problem.
    I've been taking a magnesium supplement before bed to help a bit with the spasms, and I've been taking Melatonin, since my sensitive body won't tolerate any other sort of sleep aid. The Melatonin gives me some crazy dreams, but it does help me to sleep.
    I've hurt my lower back again, so the past few nights have been even more painful than usual. I've had some restless nights!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Sleep is tricky, I will say that! I give it ALL the respect that it demands and never take the evening for granted. I have tried so many different things and found a few tricks that work for me.

1. I have a great pillow...the kind that is firm with dip in the center. It keeps my migraines and neck pain at a minimum.
    2. I always drink a small cup of tea (chamomile) in the evening mixed with a home made tincture (veg. glycerine/lemon balm, catnip, oatstraw and hops)
    3. If I wake up, I concentrate on one thing and never allow my mind to wonder...basicaly boring myself back to sleep!
    4. If I have aches and pains, I take what I need or keep it next to the bed so that I dont have to go looking for it at night.

Anyow, it's not fool proof, but certainly better than nothing. I hope you find some tricks here that work for you.
    ~Tomorrow will be a better day~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla, I take tizanidine for my muscle spasms. I sometimes take double dose to stop them when they are really bad. I try not to cause it's hard to function the next day. But I have the problem of waking and using the restroom, then not being able to go back to sleep. I seem to be doing this every other night now. Yesterday I knew this would be a bad night so I really exercised.

I learned the Salsa.

Let me tell you that's hard to do now that my hip is worse; but was it fun.
    Well I sleep until 3 so I guess that is good. It just makes for a long day.
    Last edited by Nonna; 09-06-2011 at 01:26 AM.