Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Saying Hi and Introducing Myself :-)

Thanks

Default Just Saying Hi and Introducing Myself :-)

Hi Guys,

My name is Yolanda Schuurmans. Last year in 2010 on August 19th I was diagnosed with SLE after previously being diagnosed with Sjogrens two years before. I remember my pain be can in my hips and slowly the joint pain spread the rest of my body. Only now that I have read other stokers I also realize I had earlier symptoms hinting to the disease such as mouth ulcers, however at the time never released this was the beginning of my Lupus journey. After a few daily hospital visits over a few weeks I was finally admitted to hospital (Sir Charles Gardiner) when my liver became involved. I was here for four nights and on very high doses of prenisone. Long story short my Lupus has slowly been brought under control however as it has only just been a year since my diagnosis I am still getting used to it, the symptoms, and flares etc. For example I haven't really had joint pain since my initial flare up however today is really bad, I have noticed a few Of the symptoms occurring very recently that occurred the same time last year and am wondering if the disease is almost cyclical. I am worried it will follow the same path as last year and I would prefer to stop it before it damaged my kidney again and I have to go back to high dose if prednisone etc however if I can withstand the pain no doctors etc seem to think it is anything too serious but I just have a feeling it will flare again soon and would prefer to catch it before it does. I have been struggling with it emotionally lately, or at least. Believe this is part f being so sad lately, I am NLT too sure why though as I have previously, at least. Thought, been accepting of the disease. Anyway come t this sight by recommendation of my sister and hoping for some support and sharing of experiences, coping strategies or and ideas to help or prevent anything I don't want that is related to Lupus. Thank you very much!

Yolanda
    Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

hi yolanda,
    welcome to our cyber family.
    it is good to have another west australian here.

look for linda from australia, and corrella, they are also west australian.

we also have a few eastern staters that come here also.

i have not found our sysptoms cyclic, but they do come and go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

YollyDolly (09-04-2011)

Thanks

Hey Yolly,

Good to see you have taken the first step on here. It seems to be a very caring community on the forum, which I am sure will help with accepting and managing Lupus.

Love you!
    xoxox

5. The Following User Says Thank You to debstar For This Useful Post:

YollyDolly (09-04-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum (:
    I dont know about Lupus coming in cycles... but is it possible that you're coming upon the same triggers in similar times? It may be that something set you off last year, and may do so again this year..and you just dont know what it is.
    Anyways, just wanted to say hi and welcome you - hope you enjoy it here. Feel free to post and rant and talk to people who understand where you're coming from!
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

debstar (09-04-2011), YollyDolly (09-04-2011)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Yolanda! I am so glad that you, and your sister found us! This disease is so confusing and it mimics so many other things that sometimes you don't know what is Lupus or AI (Auto Immune) issues and what is just normal life things. Most of us are like you in the way that we can look back and see things long before we KNEW we became ill. I had mouth and nose ulcers for years and I didn't even tell my first doctor about them because I had no clue they might be related! I felt such relief when I found this place because it was the first place that I could tell my story and not have people look at me like I was a hypochondriac! I didn't WANT to be sick or to have Lupus but I did want answers so I could get on the right medicines and stop getting worse!

Anyway, make yourself at home. We are so glad that you have joined our WHL family! I can't wait to get to know you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

debstar (09-04-2011), YollyDolly (09-04-2011)

Thanks

Wecome to WHL Yolanda. Learn as much as you can about Lupus so you will be well informed for when you go to the doctors. Lupus symptoms change all the time and you will find yourself learning more and more as you walk the Lupus journey. At times you may feel overwhelmed, but take it slowly, and don't panic too much. If you are concerned or don't understand something, pop into WHL and ask questions. There is bound to be someone who can help and support you.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linda From Australia For This Useful Post:

debstar (09-05-2011), tgal (09-05-2011)

Thanks

I just wanted to say hi and welcome to WHL =) I'm glad you have such a loving sister who must be very involved and understanding of what you're going through.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, InterstitialLung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 10mg Norvasc, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, 10mg Flexeril, 4mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

Thanks

Hi Yolanda,
    Welcome to both you and your sister. There is a wealth of information here, so both of you can learn a lot about what is going on with you. We're one big happy cyber family here at WHL, so don't hesitate to ask questions or join in on a thread.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Yolanda
    I am new today too. I do get cyclic events and I go to physio at the Rockingham General hospital and one of their first questions was that. I predict that I am due for another flare up in the beg of Dec or late Nov but my Dr says I most likely will get a new one when I get back from holidays, as I am going to a sunny climate. April has a two mth one then late June till late August with a small one from early Dec to early Feb. I have kept records since 2007.
    Desley
    For every dark cloud there is a silver lining!
    Diagnosed: Lupus; mesenteric panniculitis; fat nacrosis;

Thanks

Hi,

I've kept lots of records too but it's just hard getting to know what to and what not to be worried about or what is and isn't Lupus. My main flare up which is when I was first diagnosed was last year around this time. So has your Lupus settled down though since having it since 2007 so four years as I have only had it for a bit over a year. Thanks!

Yol