Thread: Hello!

Thanks

Default Hello!

Recently my doctor referred me to a Rheumatologist stating that I may Lupus. I am not sure if I am acting prematurely since I have not been officially diagnosed. I am 42 years young and approx 4 months ago my knee became swollen and painful for no apparent reason. I'd had surgey on that knee as a teen and just dismissed it as arthritis. After about 10 days the swelling and pain went away. About 3 weeks ago I woke up and my foot was tender. Didnt think much of that because my joints are stiff sometimes. After 3 days the pain kept increasing and it was hurting to walk. During this time I had my annual physical and everything was normal. I returned to the dr because the pain in my foot was almost unbearable when I tried to walk. I was then sent to have an xray to rule out a stress fracture. Xray was neg. A few days later a coworker saw me limping and suggested that I have my dr to check if I had RA. Dr drew labs and uric acid, ESR and RF negative but ANA was positive. Additional labs were sent and the DS-antibody was positive at 18 (normal value 0-9). I was devastated. I was referred to see a Rheumatologist however I am still waiting for an appt.

I have been reading that 4 out of 11 symptoms need to be present for a dx of Lupus. I only have 3 symptoms..painful joints, pos ANA, pos DS-anti DNA. I have experienced fatigue but I attribute that to being depressed at times. I do have a cousin that was diagnosed with Lupus (our mothers are sisters) in her early 20's. She is doing much better after receiving the kidney transplant a few years ago.

I am experiencing a lot of anxiety waiting for the appt with the Rheumatologist. I would like a confirm dx so I can know what to expect.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

hello dared 1,
    welcome to our cyber family.

getting a diagnosis is not always easy.
    lupus is usually diagnosed after all other possabilities are ruled out.

also the things that effect one person, may not effect the next.
    lupus acts differently on different people.

the important thing is to have the correct medication, not a name for your problem.

most people with lupus, who receive proper medication, live a full life.
    unfortunatelly, we were reminded last week, that medication does not always save us.

again welcome to our family.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    hello dared 1,
    welcome to our cyber family.

getting a diagnosis is not always easy.
    lupus is usually diagnosed after all other possabilities are ruled out.

also the things that effect one person, may not effect the next.
    lupus acts differently on different people.

the important thing is to have the correct medication, not a name for your problem.

most people with lupus, who receive proper medication, live a full life.
    unfortunatelly, we were reminded last week, that medication does not always save us.

again welcome to our family.
    Steve, you always know the right thing to say, Thank you

First let me welcome you to the WHL family. So many of of us came here before a diagnosis so please know you are welcome here. Some times it takes months or years of being ill to get the answers you are looking for. Steve hit the nail on the head. It doesn't really matter what they call it as long as they give you the right meds. Please make yourself at home here. Look through the old threads or start new ones if you have questions or have a topic that want to discuss.

Welcome again to the family. We are so glad that you found us!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Dared,
    Welcome to WHL. As others have told you, it can take a long time and sometimes a lot of frustration before you have a diagnosis. Also, be aware that there are other autoimmune diseases besides Lupus. You could have one of those, or even a combination of several.
    Meanwhile, read the threads and stickys, feel free to ask questions and learn as much as you can.
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Marla