Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate LIMBO land!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manderson View Post
    Right now, the doc I work for is looking at my results and he might refer me to a chiropractor who is also an internist and rheumatologist. My ins will not pay for this since I am in HMO.
    We have had to pay doc's out of pocket and it's OK (I almost typed FINE) if they can actually help you. Would your doc write an appeal to your HMO for you to be seen out-of-network? We were shocked to find that our PPO did that for my daughter to go out of state and didn't blink an eye at the $775 consult fee. Of course we had to pay up front, then get reimbursed.

Does this chiropractor have an MD or DO after his name? If not, he cannot prescribe traditional medications that folks with autoimmune disorders take. If he is a chiropractor who says he specializes in internal medicine and rheumatology, I would be very cautious as his training will be vastly different than a traditional "physician." Just my two cents worth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

Manderson (09-01-2011)

Thanks

A chiropractor who is also an internist and a rhuemy-thats quite a combo.I would be carefull!

Thanks

MyNest,
    We've all dealt with incompetent rheumys. I hope that your next one turns out to be a good one.
    My first one was awful, but my second one was like the dream doc that you described. She told me that sure, my blood indicated low levels of several AI diseases, but when you add them all up I was obviously in pain and needed to be treated.
    Unfortunately, we've moved to another state and I'm dealing with another rheumy who wants to deny everything that the good one said. I'm just getting my prescriptions from her and waiting until we move back to Texas and I can see my good rheumy again.
    When you find a good one, hang onto him/her.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    We have had to pay doc's out of pocket and it's OK (I almost typed FINE) if they can actually help you. Would your doc write an appeal to your HMO for you to be seen out-of-network? We were shocked to find that our PPO did that for my daughter to go out of state and didn't blink an eye at the $775 consult fee. Of course we had to pay up front, then get reimbursed.

Does this chiropractor have an MD or DO after his name? If not, he cannot prescribe traditional medications that folks with autoimmune disorders take. If he is a chiropractor who says he specializes in internal medicine and rheumatology, I would be very cautious as his training will be vastly different than a traditional "physician." Just my two cents worth.
    Right now I'm in a wait and see holding pattern. Doc I work for is still doing a diagnostic puzzle with my bloodwork. My symptoms and the results just. do. not. match. I think I could be an episode of House.

Thanks

Lol, I think that we can all sympathize with an episode or two of House! They always throw in an autoimmune disease into every episode just for kicks and giggles. I have a feeling that now after Venus W. has come out with her diagnosis of Sjogren's there will be many people thinking that they have it. That may not be all bad! Their doctors will finally have to take a good hard look at serious AI cases.

If you dont mind me asking Manderson, how does you blood work and symptoms not match up? Do you have any markers to lead you in one direction or the other?
    ~Tomorrow will be a better day~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyNest View Post
    I have a feeling that now after Venus W. has come out with her diagnosis of Sjogren's there will be many people thinking that they have it. That may not be all bad!
    I agree, Not a bad thing indeed.

I suspect that there are a good number of people out there with Sjogren's and a multitude of other autoimmune disorders who are un-diagnosed. If this helps folks figure out just what all these seemingly unrelated symptoms they suffer from are caused by, then it's definitely a good thing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm a little late to this thread. My GP is a DO so she can do the chiro stuff if I need it. I agree with the others don't trust a chiro/internist/rheumy. that doesn't sound safe. I spent 30 years in limbo, not knowing why. these meds have helped so much.

Patience is a virtue, that we need. Plus Good luck with the Docs we go to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MyNest View Post
    Lol, I think that we can all sympathize with an episode or two of House! They always throw in an autoimmune disease into every episode just for kicks and giggles. I have a feeling that now after Venus W. has come out with her diagnosis of Sjogren's there will be many people thinking that they have it. That may not be all bad! Their doctors will finally have to take a good hard look at serious AI cases.

If you dont mind me asking Manderson, how does you blood work and symptoms not match up? Do you have any markers to lead you in one direction or the other?
    Last summer when I had no symptoms at all (other than psoriasis) I had a pos ANA, CRP and elevated SED rate. This summer I have a ton of symptoms (mostly of RA), all bloodwork is clean - no inflammation whatsoevah. When I went to first appt with rheumy, she even remarked on my elbows which were swollen and warm to the touch. Ten mins after appt was over I went across the hall for xrays and bloodwork and they showed nothing other than a slightly elevated RNP.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manderson View Post
    Last summer when I had no symptoms at all (other than psoriasis) I had a pos ANA, CRP and elevated SED rate. This summer I have a ton of symptoms (mostly of RA), all bloodwork is clean - no inflammation whatsoevah. When I went to first appt with rheumy, she even remarked on my elbows which were swollen and warm to the touch. Ten mins after appt was over I went across the hall for xrays and bloodwork and they showed nothing other than a slightly elevated RNP.
    OK, this comment makes me mad! It again shows that most doctors, nice or mean, have no idea how to diagnose Lupus. A diagnosis of Lupus is made not when you have all the results at one time but when you have had them over a period of time. For many of us it takes awhile to get the Lupus diagnosis but any test, any symptom that you have had at ANY point is not discarded. For example: 2 years ago you had a positive ANA, CRP and SED rate. Those go away but 1 year ago you had some horrible rashes. Those go away but today you are having issues with the sun but all the tests results are now normal. So? A Lupus diagnosis is made on a cumulative scale meaning that you don't have to have all the symptoms at one time. It is like building a house. the walls don't go up at the same time the roof is being put on but when the roof does go on we can't go in and take all the walls down because we now have a roof can we? Of course not! Well we can't discard symptoms because we can't see them now. We just keep adding to the list

1. Positive ANA with speckled pattern (2010)
    2. Increased CRP (2010)
    3.Increased SED Rate (2010)
    4. Warm and swollen elbow (2011)

See, each new symptom is added to the list but no symptom should be removed from the list simply because the blood work/symptom has changed. The Doctor will continue to take tests to rule out other possibilities but he/she should never ignore the tests that have already shown up as abnormal. Understanding
    about the cumulative affect on symptoms is step 1 in getting a diagnosis

PS This will most likely be the only post I make for now and I hope it makes sense. I have worked on this for about an hour due to the fog but I tried really hard to make understandable.l
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Manderson (09-03-2011)

Thanks

I know what you're saying T and I totally agree. And I'm not sure that she's disregarding the past results but she did not want me to make a follow up appt either. I think I will go back to my PCP; not sure what she can or will do for me but she seems more concerned than the rheumatologist. I'm in a HMO so I have the same group of people all of the time. There are a few other rheums in the group, but first I will call current rheum's office and leave a message for her. I want to know how to proceed and if they are just going to write me off based on these latest results, then at least let me know so I can start looking outside of the network. I appreciate your input T.