Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband thinks i'm overmedicated

Thanks

Angry Husband thinks i'm overmedicated

This has caused me great depression, first of all because I have to have my meds and second of all he doesn't understand lupus, he actually told my Mom she isn't the same since she's had lupus, really, heck no I'm not the same, I didn't ask for this incurable disease and all it's associated characters that come with it, yes everyday of my life since being dx has been a struggle and for some reason he must think there is a magic pill or something I can do and it will all be better. I told my rheumie about this and he said he was willing to sit down with him and explain lupus, however, I don't think it would do any good, go in one ear and out the other...He actually made me sign a paper for my pharmacy so he could get a list of all the meds I'm taking, I have nothing to hide, then he mentioned something about getting a power of attorney???wth??? He then asked me again the other day I bet you can't even name off all the meds your on and what their for.... I'm getting so tired of this, I don't know if he's mad because of the cost or what to think?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Wow. I thought this thread was about taking too many meds but there is a lot going on here. What is happening that he wants to be your POA? I have confirmed brain issues on top of everything else and I don't have or need a POA so I am not sure what is going on that your husband thinks that you need one. I really want to help but could you give a little more info on why he thinks you need one/why he wants on?

On another note... Welcome to WHL. We are glad to have you as part of our WHL family!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

[QUOTE=MOMWLUPUS;95898]This has caused me great depression, first of all because I have to have my meds and second of all he doesn't understand lupus, he actually told my Mom she isn't the same since she's had lupus, really, heck no I'm not the same, I didn't ask for this incurable disease and all it's associated characters that come with it,...QUOTE]

Hi Momwlupus,

I actually had my former girlfriend and then soon to be wife say this exact same thing after my SLE diagnosis in 2004. "You're not the same since the diagnosis". My response was a rather angry and sarcastic "Well, no s**t genius!".

I was diagnosed with a chronic, incurable, and sometimes fatal disease. What was I supposed to do, throw a frakking party? Our relationship devolved into her constantly telling me how hard my disease was on her. Some people in our lives will eventually at least try to understand, and others will not.

I wish I had some really good advice to give you, but I don't. I do think that the rheumo sitting down with him and having a frank discussion is worth a try. I would also say stand your ground, regarless of who doesn't like it and why.

It's ironic that the refusal of a spouse or loved one to try to understand Lupus causes us stress which can lead to a flare, causing us to have to possibly take even more meds than we are already on. Telling him straight up that his own actions and attitude could end up causing you to have to be prescribed even more meds, might be worth telling him. We guys like to fix things. If he understood that backing down a bit and being more supportive of you would really help fix some things, maybe he'll at least start to change his attitude.

I understand your anger, and your frustration,

Rob

PS-Welcome to WHL.
    Last edited by rob; 08-31-2011 at 12:57 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (09-01-2011), tgal (08-31-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is something we all have to deal with at times. My husband does not understand a lot of this and if i complain to much he comes up with what he has and compares it i do not think he understands the complications of this diease . Bonita It is not that he does not care but does not take it seriously

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Wow. I thought this thread was about taking too many meds but there is a lot going on here. What is happening that he wants to be your POA? I have confirmed brain issues on top of everything else and I don't have or need a POA so I am not sure what is going on that your husband thinks that you need one. I really want to help but could you give a little more info on why he thinks you need one/why he wants on?

On another note... Welcome to WHL. We are glad to have you as part of our WHL family!
    I asked him why he would want a power of attorney and he said nothing. He seems so frustated with me here lately because the Methotrexate I'm on lays me out for a couple of days I come home from work and go straight to bed sometimes not every week then my memory has been going here lately, he will make a comment like "your so drugged up you don't even know were you are" ah no thats not it, sometimes I feel so bad when I wake up it takes me awile ya know....my hips have been acting up I've had cortisone shots in them the other day he asked why are you waking like a 80 y/o woman, gee cause I want to I guess?! Then my face broke out and was very upsetting got these sores I think from my medicine, he thought I was picking my face and they were pimples and I had to get my DL renewed and he said your not getting your DL renewed with your face like that are you? I hung up and started crying like I can help it, finally my Dr gave me a script to clear up my face. My husband is very hateful all the time and verbally abusive but I have 3 kids in school and I feel like I'm stuck with no way out. I wouldn't know how to act to have someone be nice to me...Here is a list of meds let me know if you think it's to much:
    Zonegran: neuropathy and migraines(just got thru having m/g x 3 mos in a row)
    Plaquenil: Lupus
    Methotrexate Injection 0.6ml: Lupus
    Advair: Asthma
    Xopenix: Rescue inhaler
    Folic acid: to go with MTX
    Omneprilezole: Stomach Ulcer for taking to many NSAIDS
    Cymbalta: Depression
    Percocet: Pain
    Aspiring dailyfor possible TIA
    I have Lupus, Raynauds, Possible TIA's Asthma, Bursitis, Migraines, Neuropathy, possible sjogrens, thanks.

Thanks

dear mumwlupus i am so sorry you are going through this we all have had someone in our life who does not understand and it is frustrating and very hurtful as someone who had power of attorney over my son my advice to you would be think very seriously they can be very bad i have had nothing but trouble that is why i no longer do it under no circumstance sign it unless you have legal advice first it can get you in a lot of trouble. and no i do not think it is to much medication a lot of us are on lots of medications. i am on mexotrexate, plaquenil, prednisone, aspirin, valium, tramadol, atacand, vascocardol.throxine,, somac, folic acid, until they go through the same pain on a daily basis they have no way to understand it does take some adjustment on there part i know hopefully in time he will understand but until then just remember we are here for you to talk to at anytime hugs

Thanks

Hi MOMWLUPUS,

First, welcome to WHL.
    Even though my husband is very supportive, in the beginning he didn't understand either. He thought, taking the meds will make it all better, that is what he actually said, " take your pills, honey, so you can get better".
    I had to take his hope and smash it, I had to tell him, there is no cure, because when he said get better, he meant cured. I did explain all that right after I was diagnosed, but he did not understand. Maybe he was in denial.
    Now he understands, but still gets on my butt, about taking my meds, because sometimes I forget. He knows how much worse I feel, when I slack off with my meds.
    He is real upset for me right now, because I had to stop MTX, ( high liver enzynes), he is upset, because he knows it has really helped me with my pain.
    I don't know, what your husbands problem is, but I hope he is just not ready to deal with the fact, that you are really ill.
    Good luck to you.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-31-2011)

Thanks

Until I was diagnosed with lupus I thought I understood what it was to have chronic pain/illness- but I didn't.
    Oh sure I understood the dictinary definition,but until you experience the pain and frustration you can never really know.

I am blessed with a sweet wonderfull wife who has been a nurse for 20 yrs-but there are times when she is clueless and I have to remind her that I have limits on what I can do.

Thanks

Just a quick response for now: That list, though certainly unpleasant, doesn't look much different from my list. I'm not on MTX but substitute some heart meds and valium and you have me. That's about par for the course for most of us. I would have stronger words for your husband but it's probably not kosher on the board. Whether it would "go in one ear and out the other" or not is beside the point, I think your doc should talk to him. If for no other reason than the doctor needs to see this attitude as well, don't you think? Or does it scare you that your husband will get angry and abusive (verbally or otherwise) if you "humiliate" him by making him listen to someone who knows better than he does? I don't know...it just sounds like a bad situation that you shouldn't have to be going through.

You are in my thoughts. Please find someone to stand with you, not against you. Therapist, doctor, family member?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KCat For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (09-01-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

you can lead a horse to water......
    but you cannot make it drink.

you can give your husband the facts.......
    but you cannot makre it sink in.

if he does not understand, then nothing you do will change that.
    if it is beyond his understanding, then nothing you say will help.

it is hard to try to make someone understand.

as a male i tried to make my wife better.
    (she has several health issues)
    i worked in the mines, to make enough miney, so she did not have to work.
    i took her to the best doctors i could buy.

untill i became ill, i did not understand her pain.

all you can do is feed your husband little pieces of information, so he can slowely learn.
    it is oveerwelming to not understand how someone you love is hurting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (09-01-2011)