Thread: How long does MTX stay in the body?

Thanks

Default How long does MTX stay in the body?

Just got a call from my rheumy, no MTX again tonight, because my liver enzymes are even higher than they were last week.
    One week ago he told me not to take the shot, for one week, then take another bloodtest and we go from there. Well the liver enzimes have almost doubled from the week before, even though, I didn't take my shot last tuesday. Today would be my M-Day, but can't take it again.
    Does anyone know, how long MTX stays in the body, because I am already starting to have more pain.
    Or is it in my head?

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have not been able to find any information that gives a specific amount of time that MTX remains in the body. Most articles talked about the absorption rate and the variables for the absorption rates. I would venture to say that, since the dosage is weekly, it is assumed that the medication remains within the body for at least seven days.
    I have heard many MTX users state that when they no longer take the MTX, many of their symptoms begin to worsen or re-appear. So, you are not alone in feeling this way. I wish that I had better information for you and I do hope that you start to feel better soon. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and know that we are here to help you as much as we can.

Peace & Blessinga
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (08-31-2011)

Thanks

Thank you, Susie.
    I thought maybe the pain is all in my head, because I haven't taken my shot for two weeks now.
    It is frustrating, when you finally found something that helps and now you have to stop taking it.
    Had an Ultra Sound done today, from the liver, gallbladder, spleen, kidneys, aorta and pelvic. I hope to hear something soon.
    My bloodpressure is still high 149/102. I guess that means something is going on.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think it depends on each individual. Be patient and listen to the doctor. I was told in July to stop a d just the past two weeks I feel myself sliding. But It is always best to follow the docs advice.

Hope you feel better
    Hugs
    Nonna

Thanks

Well, its tuesday again, my M-day, but got a call from the rheumy again, no go on the shot tonight. Because liver enzymes are still up. The last shot I had was four weeks ago.
    I am feeling the pain and other symptoms returning.
    My ultra sound results were good, but I still have a slight pain in my upper abdomen and a really weird feeling, like something is protruting, from the inside out. But it is not visible on the outside. For all the moms here, it feels like a baby moving in your tummy, but it is higher, right under the ribs.
    I have an appointment with the rheumy on 9/14, next wednesday. He said we are going to have to change the meds and find something else that will work for me.
    I am so frustrated and in pain again.

Debbie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

FYI, it's now 2 months I'm off the MTX. I'm in extreme pain again. My appointment is next Wednesday. I can't wait.

Hugs nonna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna View Post
    FYI, it's now 2 months I'm off the MTX. I'm in extreme pain again. My appointment is next Wednesday. I can't wait.

Hugs nonna
    Hi Nonna,

I know how you feel love. I am off it for about 5-6 weeks and I am in pain.
    I didn't realize how much it helped me, until I had to stop taking it.
    I went to the GI doctor today, of course, he ordered a Endoscopy. He said he is not to worried about my liver, but I told, " BUT I AM".
    So wednesday I will go to have the big tube jammed down my throat, he said there will be sedation, I told him, to just knock me out. He also ordered more detailed bloddtests.
    I just want to have my MTX back.

Debbie

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Reading this is really not making me happy. I have to go to the doctor in order to get my MTX refilled and I don't have the money for either. I am also out of plaquenil but it is more then I have in the bank. I have a doctors appointment on the 4th. I have already missed 3 weeks so 6 is gonna be nasty I am afraid!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Reading this is really not making me happy. I have to go to the doctor in order to get my MTX refilled and I don't have the money for either. I am also out of plaquenil but it is more then I have in the bank. I have a doctors appointment on the 4th. I have already missed 3 weeks so 6 is gonna be nasty I am afraid!
    You poor thing, that really stinks. Have you ever tried, ugh I forgot the name of it, it's always on tv, when they advertise medications, it always says, " if you can't afford your medications, call Astra..... something. Do you know, what I am talking about?
    Things are going to get alot more expensive for me too, they upped my premiums twice in the last year and a half. Now they came up with something intirely different, the insurance is going to put $500 bucks in " my" account, I can use that for a doctors visit, ( each rheumy visit is about $250), thats two visits to the rheumy,( thank you so much), after that, I have to pay $1000 deductible and then the insurance will pay, 90% in network and 80% out of network. The nearest in network doc is an hour away, if you can find one at all. Plus I am happy with my rheumy, I don't want to have to change.
    This is much better than your situation, I know, but it still sucks.
    BTW, my car is in the shop again, for the third time in six months, I have no idea, how much it going to cost this time. We have put about $1800 into the da.. thing already. Oh well, I could go on and on, but you know what I am talking about.
    We need to win the lottery, NOW.

Debbie

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    You poor thing, that really stinks. Have you ever tried, ugh I forgot the name of it, it's always on tv, when they advertise medications, it always says, " if you can't afford your medications, call Astra..... something. Do you know, what I am talking about?
    Things are going to get alot more expensive for me too, they upped my premiums twice in the last year and a half. Now they came up with something intirely different, the insurance is going to put $500 bucks in " my" account, I can use that for a doctors visit, ( each rheumy visit is about $250), thats two visits to the rheumy,( thank you so much), after that, I have to pay $1000 deductible and then the insurance will pay, 90% in network and 80% out of network. The nearest in network doc is an hour away, if you can find one at all. Plus I am happy with my rheumy, I don't want to have to change.
    This is much better than your situation, I know, but it still sucks.
    BTW, my car is in the shop again, for the third time in six months, I have no idea, how much it going to cost this time. We have put about $1800 into the da.. thing already. Oh well, I could go on and on, but you know what I am talking about.
    We need to win the lottery, NOW.

Debbie
    Yes, I know about the "free meds" because we used them when my mother was ill. The problem is that, unless they have changed it, it has to be a medication you are going to take for a year. Who knows what I am going to be taking for a year. My meds change every week it seems like!

I can tell you that I am already showing signs of being off my meds. I have started to cough, everything hurts (especially the area just above my ribcage) and on and on I could go but it isn't worth it. You are correct, it is getting harder for everyone. Mine may stand out a bit because it is 0 but let's be real, there is only so much money coming in and but there is a lot more going out for everyone!

Someone has to something
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~