Thread: Anybody ever diagnosed with lupus after having an IUD?

Thanks

Default Anybody ever diagnosed with lupus after having an IUD?

My lupus issues started happening shortly after having an IUD (Intrauterine birth control device) put in for the first time. After a few weeks I started having joint aches, headaches, fatigue and fuzzy thinking as well as cramps almost every day. I complained to the Dr who told me the cramps would go away, to just "hang in there". A few months later I had an episode of numbness in my face and extremities and dizzyness after several days of really bad joint pain and headaches that led to an emergency room visit leading to my being eventually diagnosed with lupus. I insisted that the IUD be removed even though the Dr said it couldn't have caused those symptoms. The lupus has not gone away in the 6 years since then; there are times I feel ok and times I feel worse. I'm not 100% certain there is a connection but the timing seems too much to be a coincidence. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced a connection between IUDs and lupus?
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Was there any infection found? There is little to no information linking IUDs to Lupus. However, it is a well known fact that many people develop Lupus after viral or bacterial infections. Many Lupus patients are advised not to get an IUD because of the risk of infection and the dangers that infections present to Lupus.

I'm sorry that I could not provide you with a definite answer, there does not seem to be any viable information linking the two, outside of infections. I hope that this has been helpful, however.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for the info Saysusie. I wasn't told I had an infection or treated for one, and there wasn't any problem with the IUD itself, just my health.
    ~ Morrison
    SLE and Sjogrens
    It's hard to take over the world when you sleep 20 hours a day (Get Fuzzy)

Thanks

As a general rule... nothing causes lupus... so there is no strict list of things to stay clear of to prevent lupus.

Lupus is a genetic predisposition to an autoimmune disease that has a combination of a list of specific symptoms; which may include the whole list or any number of bits and pieces off the list.
    A lot of people get the lupus diagnosis and think "disease" and therefor compare it to definitive things like diabetes which has a cause, it has testing and has clear symptoms and outcomes. But its not, it is just a label for an autoimmune reaction that has varying but loosely common symptoms.

Pretty much... if you are predisposed to lupus... its a roll of the dice as to IF, WHEN or WHY you get lupus. Typically, a stressful event is the catalyst. Childbirth is a very frequent 'switch'. Car accidents, infections, puberty, stressful life events... can all set lupus off. Its important to note that once you initiate your lupus, it will likely reactivate throughout your life through similar situations and for many their life will involve minor or moderate symptoms throughout.

So the stressful event does not 'cause' your lupus... it merely sets it off... you already had it... it was passed on through your genetics. Likely, someone in your family has an autoimmune disease as well. It could be anything from hypothyroidism to MS.

So your IUD did not cause your lupus... but it was likely a very stressful event for your body which may have set off your lupus. I dont know what IUDs are or how they are 'installed' but it could have been anything from the foreign object in your body to an infection you didnt notice to sedatives or anesthetics used in the procedure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle For This Useful Post:

YollyDolly (09-12-2011)

Thanks

Hi. I'm from WA Australia and a lady I spoke to over east said her daughter was diagnosed with an auto immune disease (not Lupus) after the IUD was inserted and as I can recall apparently the doctor said the IUD had triggered it. If I recall way back I had been getting sneak peak symptoms of Lupus for ages but was diagnosed about a year ago I believe when I started again properly on the pill (for hormonal/mood swing reasons). I think if you are going to get Lupus you are destined to get it eventually but they are triggering time of diagnosis with major hormonal change I think so most commonly teen or later years. I think maybe IUD or the pill etc maybe just speed up that hormonal change and just bring the Lupus diagnosis now instead of later, but apparently that kind of link has been studied and no link is found but then the study saying it is mostly diagnosed with hormonal changes would seem to support IUD and pill etc possibly causing diagnosis. I don't know if that makes sense or helps but get my drift? x

Thanks

Makes heaps good sense especially the second last paragraph. Thanks!

Thanks

I never really thought about it but my symptoms started shortly after I had the IUD but i had my but it at my 6wk eval after i had my daughter. I dont think they are connected but more likely they are from the stress of having a baby or something else. I only kept mine for like six months because it was awful. strange though. I have not been dx with lupus though awaiting a appointment with dr. I know it is something auto though. Hope this helps

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had 2 IUD's. The first one was fine, nothing happened. The second one decided to travel. I ended with a DnC. I don't think that it caused Lupus or any AI. The factors are already there. IUD's going wrong would just cause a flare.

This is just my thoughts on this as I am not a doctor, nurse or anything medical.