Thread: need help with medication question

Thanks

Question need help with medication question

hi everyone especially rob an saysusie i have a problem with my mother ringing every week trying to shove new medications down my throat this week it is msm i have told her repeatedly there is no cure for lupus now she is thinking of taking this drug and going off her lupus medication and wants me to do the same i have never heard of this medication she says it is american how can i stop herfrom trying constanly to cure herself and me she is driving me nuts i know she cares but i am worried she is putting her health at risk and now that my daughter has lupus i am worried she will try and convince my daughter my brother is the big major problem he is high advocate of natural medications and keeps on suggesting these things to my mother while i am not against natural things such as vitamins. my mother is so against taking her lupus drugs she goes on and off them like a yo yo i am frightened it will kill her one day have you any suggestions on how to deal with this situation i do not want to hurt her feelings i know she does this because she loves me but she stresses me out it has become that way that everytime she rings i dread what she has come up next and sometimes deliberately avoid her phone calls it is an obsession with her any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated hugs kim l

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) has been hyped as a cure for arthritis, based on a lot of testimonials but very little valid scientific data. MSM also claims to help constipation, allergies, and even to stop snoring. MSM has not been shown to preserve cartilage, nor halt joint destruction and deformity. That alone tells me all that I need to know about the benefits of this drug.

With reference to how to deal with you Mother, perhaps you can politely tell your mother and your brother that they are free to try any new regimen that they feel will work for them. However, according to your research and what you know about your body and your Lupus, you choose to stay with your current regimen and you do not want to do anything to risk a flare-up of your disease, or to risk causing a fatal event by not taking those medications that you know are saving your life. You could tell them that you have the utmost respect for them and their decisions, you ask only that they give you that same respect. If and when the time comes when you might consider changing your regimen, you will be certain to come to them first for information and/or advice. But until that happens, would they please respect your decisions just as you respect theirs.

I am sorry that this is causing you so much stress. I hope that you are able to find a way to make them understand so that you can alleviate that stress, at least. Wishing you the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusiwe
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

KCat (08-31-2011), steve.b (08-30-2011)

Thanks

Saysusie's advice is spot on and I think that if you can say that to your family you will get a huge burden off of your shoulders. Once it's said, the anxiety of dealing with them should be greatly reduced.

That doesn't mean they'll change so at some point, you may just have to buck up and ignore it. I know that isn't easy to do but it's what I had to do. Some people simply don't listen and if that's the case then once you've had your say then you have to be strong and learn to smile and nod and go on with the way you know you need to do things. Sometimes, you can't change people but can only take care of yourself. You can worry about them (which is probably what's really got you stressed as much as them pummeling you with advice) but it won't do you any good. You can only take care of yourself in this matter. In my experience, family members get over small hurt feelings like this.

Thanks

Okay I can soooo relate to this... my Dad thinks that I should stay off all sugary products/yeast and I will be cured as well. Well I did try to stay off of sugar which I know sugar is not good for you however sugar is in everything!!! You know how hard that is. My Dad has Meniere's and he claims he has been healed doesn't have arthritis anymore however, I so remember him having a flare back in December getting dizzy etc., oh but I guess I'm supossed to forget about that. Anywho he tries to bring books over for me to read for natural stuff. I do try to eat good, but what the heck whats life if you can't have fun and I like to eat! We are all gonna die oneday so might as well enjoy each day we have and live it to the best we can. I do agree with Saysusies advice and will apply it next time I get "all natural" shoved down my throat!
    Sending hugs your way!

Thanks

thanks everyone for your advice and saysusie for your expanation of msm i new this was not good and i will take you advice and gently let my family know while i value them i will make my own decisions on taking it hugs

Thanks

Hi Kim,
    I'm familiar with MSM. The PC doc that I had way back in 1999 had me to start taking Glucosamine & Condroitin with MSM when I first complained of aching joints.
    I've been taking one or two per day ever since. When my joint aches were mild, it did help, but I eventually needed prescription drugs.
    My docs have always told me to keep on taking it along with the prescriptions, though. It is definitely not a cure for arthritis, but it's one of those things that the docs seem to feel can be somewhat helpful - what they call a complementary drug.
    Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Marla