Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    Rob you always keep s laughing i live in Lebanon pa and we have had alot of rain and big gusts of wind. The thing i worry about is our huge treet in the backyard so far many branches are off and it snapped my umbrella off in two from the picnic table and broke my very large clay flower pot but that is okay hope everyone is safe from danger. Love and prayers to all Bonita
    I've been seeing on the news that falling trees and falling branches are the main cause of injuries so far for this storm. Just stay inside, and ride it out Bonita.

I just poked my head outside and the rain drops are so big, and being blown with such force, that they sting when they hit you. Thought it was hail, but no, it's just raindrops the size of marbles. The wind is about 30 mph steady, so the show has definitely begun...

Stay safe everyone,

Rob

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Ya'll be careful. We deal with those quite often down here so I am thinking of all of you. Be safe and let us know when it has passed.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob,
    Hope y'all are doing okay up there! We're still waiting to see what's going to happen when high tide hits. Half of our yard is currently under water, trying to keep the dogs out of it - HAH! I guess my garden it shot!
    Lauren

Thanks

The storm is definitely not as they predicted. I just went through it outside of Philadelphia between Philly and Trenton and yes there is a lot of power outages and downed trees and flooding but if you normally flood you will probably flood, but it is no where as bad as they said it would be and we have woods behind our house. There are about 1 million people in our news viewing area without power but just keep common sense. There where crazy tornado warnings and one actually confirmed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by red246 View Post
    Rob,
    Hope y'all are doing okay up there! We're still waiting to see what's going to happen when high tide hits. Half of our yard is currently under water, trying to keep the dogs out of it - HAH! I guess my garden it shot!
    The eye of the storm is about 200 miles away at this point. Power is out for most of the state, and I'm on the generator now. There's some trees down, and I see a streetsign laying in my front yard-ironically, it's a speed limit sign-45mph! The winds are about 60mph with 75mph gusts. Somebody needs to give mother nature a speeding ticket I think.

No other problems to report at this point. The eye will be closest to my location at 8:00 pm, putting it about 45 miles to the west of me.

Rob

Thanks

Please keep us posted! I am thinking about all of you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I heard from Heather this morning. They had a nice wine and cheese party last night while they watched the hurricane's progress on CNN.
    They slept through the worst of the rain and wind, so she thinks that it wasn't too bad in her part of NYC. They never even lost power.
    Her chef friend made wonderful breakfast sandwiches and took a cab to work. He was the only chef that made it into work in their kitchen, so he was a busy man today.
    Both couples went back to their homes this evening and found little or no water damage.
    Heather has been busy scrubbing tape goo from windows in three apartments. That is the worst effect of the storm that she has had to deal with.
    Luckily for her, the lab is less than three blocks from her home, so she easily got into work and took care of things there, too.
    As I had thought, she and her friends made the whole thing into a fun party.
    Well, I'm no longer a worried Mom.
    I hope that all of our WHL family has fared as well.
    Hugs to all,
    Marla

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

Nonna (08-31-2011), Saysusie (09-02-2011), tgal (08-29-2011)

Thanks

The power is back on already, and all that happened in Maine was some minimal property damage, mostly downed trees, and some minor flooding which has mostly receded. Today, it's sunny, cool, and there's a nice breeze blowing.

The wind and rain was pretty impressive, but not really much different than a typical Noreaster, which we are used to dealing with.

Rob

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Nonna (08-31-2011), tgal (08-29-2011)

Thanks

I am so glad that every member of our family made it through OK. I know red evacuated yesterday but at least that tells us she and her family are safe.
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Our neighbors to the south in Vermont, got hit pretty hard. Massive flooding, and reports right now are that there were 19 people killed. The storm drifted west, and because of that, they were hit hard. Had the storm followed it's predicted path, or had it veered to the east, that could be have been us.

I was up most of the night, and got to sleep around 5am. I woke up at 9am and was really happy to take a walk around my property, and see no damage other than some tree branches down. My need to yell out that yes, we are OK here, was stopped abruptly upon hearing the news from Vermont. The New England states are small in area, and as a result, it's easy to meet, and to know well, the people in the next state over. We all have friends and family "in the next state over".

Unfortunately tonight, one of our local families, and the community, have lost a friend, and a family member, in the next state over.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 08-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.