Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hurricane Irene

I just want to let anyone who may be in harms way, due to hurricane Irene, my prayers will be with you.
    God Bless.
    Sue

'Friends are like stars.....You don't always see them, but you know they are there.'

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

We're ready for Irene up here in Maine. The generator is primed, and I'm stocked up on beer and toilet paper...

Folks down south stand to bear the brunt of this one. I hope this storm for them simply peters out, or passes them by with the minimum of damage.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Beer and toilet paper....absolute essentials for disaster preparedness (rofl)
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-26-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob,
    Sounds like you're well prepared! LOL Found out, from the neighbors, our basement will probably flood, hopefully not above the plastic pallets!
    Lauren

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    Beer and toilet paper....absolute essentials for disaster preparedness (rofl)
    LOL That was funny!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm praying and thinking good thoughts. My family lives on the Jersey shore. They say they can't go inland be ause the rivers are flooding from previous storms. So they've battened down the hatches and go to my cousins house five mile inland. Praying for all.
    Hugs to you Red

Thanks

My daughter lives in Greenwich Village, in Manhattan. She is well prepared. She lives in an apartment on the 23rd floor, and her husband is traveling. Their apartment faces south, toward the financial district, and the entire south wall is windows.
    However, she is cat-sitting on the 15th floor, in an apartment that faces onto a sheltered courtyard and she is apartment sitting in another one that is on the 4th floor and faces the street.
    She has four friends spending the weekend with her that have been evacuated from Rockaway Beach. They have decided to hang out with the cat on the 15th floor, with plenty of cheese, wine and good rum.
    She has storm-readied all three apartments - taped windows, garbage-bagged electronics, filled tubs, turned freezers as low as possible, and stocked all three fridges with extra ice and water. They are well-stocked.
    She has a great last resort, too. She is in charge of her Neurobiology lab at NYU, since her boss is traveling. They just received an extra shipment of water and food for lab animals, so they have a month's worth of plenty of water. The lab building also has it's own generators, since it is filled with labs with sensitive equipment. Because of that, she moved a lot of her perishable food to the fridge in the lab.
    They are going to hunker down and have quite a hurricane party tonight. Since one of the friends who is staying with her is a three-star chef at the Plaza, I have the feeling that they will have a very nice party, even if it is by candle light.
    I'll still be glad to hear from her once it is all over!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    ...The generator is primed, and I'm sto cked up on beer and toilet paper...
    no shot gun shells?

to ward off river rats, neighbours wanting a free beer etc...

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve.bryce View Post
    no shot gun shells?

to ward off river rats, neighbours wanting a free beer etc...
    No shotgun, but I do have a Steyr AUG rifle w/500 rounds of 5.56mm ammo. The beer is well protected!

As of this morning, as expected, it's raining hard, but no wind yet. The eye is directly over Atlantic City New Jersey right now. That's just about 500 miles south of me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (08-28-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob you always keep s laughing i live in Lebanon pa and we have had alot of rain and big gusts of wind. The thing i worry about is our huge treet in the backyard so far many branches are off and it snapped my umbrella off in two from the picnic table and broke my very large clay flower pot but that is okay hope everyone is safe from danger. Love and prayers to all Bonita