Thread: valerie

Thanks

Default valerie

i was diagnosed with lupus just a while ago. i went to a site to search it out and discovered that my age group [65 plus] should live up to 10 more years. but i dont know much else. so i will read posts to find out about the everyday aspect of it.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

First let me welcome you to WHL! You have found a wonderful group of people. We are all ages, races, genders but we are a family of Lupus and/or Autoimmune (AI) patients. There is so much wonderful information that can be found in these threads. Take a look around or feel free to start a new topic if you wish. I so look forward to getting to know you!

Once again, welcome to the WHL family. We really are glad that you are here
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Welcome Valerie! Make sure you are looking at current statistics. When I went to nursing school 25 years ago, the life expectancy for someone newly diagnosed with lupus was 10 years. Now most people live normal life spans. I read somewhere that it takes an average of 10 years and 5 doctors just to get diagnosed! If that is true, a lot of folks used up their 10 year life expectancy just trying to get a name for what is wrong LOL

Seriously, though, many people live full and wonderful lives with lupus. The folks on this site probably tend to be the ones that have been hit harder by the disease, so there are many experts on their illness. Hopefully you will do well on your meds and just have to make a few changes to your lifestyle. No matter what, though, there is great info here and lots of shoulders to whine on if you need it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-25-2011)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Valerie,

Welcome to our group. I wouldn't get too caught up in numbers and statistics. The actual data on how many people are diagnosed with Lupus in relation to what their outlook/lifespan will possibly be, is simply inconclusive at this point. What I know as fact, is that my mother was diagnosed with SLE 22 years ago. She's now 74 years old, and she is active and involved with her family, and her community everyday.

As for me, I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004, and I'm still around, irritating the hell out of some people...

Lupus is by no means the end.

Once again, welcome. Please, make yourself at home here.

Rob

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (08-26-2011)

Thanks

Hello and welcome to our family. One day while ibwas at Wal-Mart I met a woman who was 85. She was diagnosed with lupus at 45, which I'm sure when had it longer than that since lupus is usually diagnosed after years of symptoms. I threw all the stats out the window that day(smile).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-26-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,102 Posts

hi valerie,
    i have been living with lupus, undiagnosed for over 30 years, and diagnosed for 3.
    modern medication has changed all of the old stats.
    there is no modern data, as the drugs are still new.
    we are living longer, so enjoy life while you can.

welcome to our cyber family.
    loverly to have another grand parent here. there are a few others that will be happy to get to know you.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and welcome Valerie. You have come to the right place to learn about Lupus, to be amongst others who deal with the disease, and to find support, comfort, information, and understanding. There are many of us here who are in your age group and who are living with the disease and we are here to help you in any way that we can. Again..welcome to our family

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!