Now I'm fighting Mold
Well, there has been some aftermath from the big bathroom flood that I had. Now we're dealing with mold growing in the house.
I noticed it in the windowsill of our bedroom, but Jeff wasn't in a hurry to help me clean it - too busy with his computer.
Monday morning I reached for the bamboo back scratcher that I keep on the headboard and noticed that it was full of mold.
I showed it to Jeff that evening, and he cleaned it for me and then complained about the smell of bleach and mold.
Yesterday, I decided that the only way for the bedroom to get clean was for me to do it. One job kept leading to another. I cleaned the window, and found mold growing on my curtains, so I had to take them down and wash them, along with three other loads of laundry. I then found mold on my wooden furniture, so I had to clean all of the furniture. I even found it on some Japanese silk panels that are hanging on the walls, so I had to clean those, and some framed pictures and a huge Japanese fan on another wall. We have hardwood flooring, so I scrubbed and lemon-oiled that in the bedroom and the hall before I got too tired.
I was so exhausted by the time Jeff got home, I didn't have the strength to cook dinner, so he "cooked" - we wound up eating sushi. (Notice how much we love anything Japanese?) While we were out, he bought an air purifier, which we have running in the bedroom in hopes of killing the mold spores.
I have been useless today - my back has been killing me, and the fatigue is unbelievable. Hopefully, I'll have enough strength tomorrow to finish the floors and then go get my much-needed massage.
Still tired, and about to pass out for the night....
Did you file an insurance claim, Marla? It seems like you need more mold containment than you or your husband can provide. It sounds like the Creature From The Black Lagoon licked your bathroom. Please be careful - mold can make folks very sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Marla, this is bad. Once mold starts it's hard to get rid of. I have a suggestion. They have services that come in after fires and floods and other disasters and clean for you. They have the right equipment and chemIcals. Then you would be sure it's really gone. I rented anapartment that was infested. There seemed to be water onthe basement. An area I had no acess to. I moved out fast and gave up my security deposit.
I was always sick. This is not good.
Good Luck, Good Thoughts and HUGS
The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:
Gizmo & Nonna,
It isn't that bad. The maintenance guy did a good job with the clean-up in the bathroom and hall, and used two big dehumidifiers for a couple of days.
The bedroom across the hall is where I've had the problems. Mold is always a problem here on the coast. There are often damp days like today, with a misty fog alternating with sun all day. If you've ever seen the movie "A Walk in the Clouds", that is what it is like here.
The extra moisture in the house caused our bedroom to be the perfect place for the mold to bloom. We've gotten it under control, and we're running an air purifier.
Any time that the sun comes out, I'm airing the house out.
We'll gripe at the maintenance people if it comes back.
The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:
Oh I hope you get to feeling better, Marla! Get some rest and keep an eye on the mold. You don't want it to spread and you to get more ill
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.