Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My head is like a bowling ball?

Thanks

Default My head is like a bowling ball?

I have been going to a chiropractor for about 10 days-6 visits.Problem is he keeps trying to crack my neck ...and can't.
    This started when I woke up with a very sore,stiff neck and when I turn my head a certain way I get a shooting pain down my left arm along with pins/needles and numbness. I saw my GP who put me on 5 days of prednisone and tramadol-which didn't seem to have any effect at all. My wife(not just my personel nurse but a real RN)suggested trying a chiropractor.
    The chiropractor seems to be becoming frustrated-as am I. At first he was optomistic but now he keeps grumbling about my big neck and shoulders and referred to my head as a big bowling ball.
    My visits with him start with some electric probes attached to my neck which is supposed to give deep muscle stimulation this last 15 min. ,then his assistant comesin with some spoonlike paddle which is supposed to be an ultrasonic muscle stimulater,this as well goes on for 15 min.
    Then the fun starts-he comes in and tries to 'manipulate me'. So far to no avail.

Has anyone here had a good experience with a chiropractor? Am I expecting too much too soon?

Thanks for your input! Niall

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I have never been to one but I have friends that live at the them. One of my friends drives over 2 hours to get to "hers". Sorry I was no help in this one.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I used to go to a chiropractor, and i loved it, but that was a few years ago. I also know a few people who had really great experiences, especially with neck problems.
    Honestly, this sounds bad, but I would probably try another chiropractor. If you're paying the money anyways, you may want to just look for another in your area, and if it goes badly you can always check in with the one you have.
    Another possibility is maybe just a good massage therapist.
    Good luck, i really hope you feel better soon (:
    One day at a time, one breath at a time... We can get through this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elo For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n.mac View Post
    I have been going to a chiropractor for about 10 days-6 visits.Problem is he keeps trying to crack my neck ...and can't.
    This started when I woke up with a very sore,stiff neck and when I turn my head a certain way I get a shooting pain down my left arm along with pins/needles and numbness. I saw my GP who put me on 5 days of prednisone and tramadol-which didn't seem to have any effect at all. My wife(not just my personel nurse but a real RN)suggested trying a chiropractor.
    The chiropractor seems to be becoming frustrated-as am I. At first he was optomistic but now he keeps grumbling about my big neck and shoulders and referred to my head as a big bowling ball.
    My visits with him start with some electric probes attached to my neck which is supposed to give deep muscle stimulation this last 15 min. ,then his assistant comesin with some spoonlike paddle which is supposed to be an ultrasonic muscle stimulater,this as well goes on for 15 min.
    Then the fun starts-he comes in and tries to 'manipulate me'. So far to no avail.

Has anyone here had a good experience with a chiropractor? Am I expecting too much too soon?

Thanks for your input! Niall
    Let me first say that one of my best friends is a chiropractor and after a really bad experience at another chiropractor(whom I went to due to insurance), I won't go back. My friend saw my spasms and said, "I wouldn't touch you." I have fibromyalgia and the spasms literally move my discs out of place and pinch nerves. All the chiropractor did was aggravate the situation Niall. If its fibromyalgia, hot soaks, stretching, ibuprophin, rest, repeat. At least this is what has helped me. Sometimes ice helped the nerve pain. Were you ever tested for fibromyalgia? I've used lyrica for it and It helped for awhile, but cymbalta really seems to help me now. I hope this makes sense. I am a bit run down today.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lovedbyHim For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-23-2011)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The massage therapist might loosen the neck muscles to where the chiro guy can do his thing. But they (chiros) can get expensive cause you have to keep going to them one a week or everyother week. This one told me he adjusts his kids necks every day. Watch out

Thanks

Like Nonna said, watch out. Why would you have to adjust kids every day? You would think if something is out of whack, you adjust it once and that's it.
    I went to a chiro once, he "adjusted" my neck. He turned my head to one side, it hurt like heck and the crack sound was so loud, it scared me to death. After he turned my head to one side, he wanted to turn it to the other side, but by then I was so scared, that I stiffened up and he was unable to do it.
    Needless to say, I never went back.
    My friend goes to a chiro every two weeks, for 7 years already. I don't get it.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hi Niall, I had a similiar experience, I was going to a chiro three times a week, and yes it got very expensive. Anyhow he couldn't 'crack' anything. He said he never met anyone like me. My neck wouldn't crack, my back wouldn't crack, I was very tight all the time. I also have fibro but wasn't diagnosed at the time. I just stopped going to him.
    Good luck with everything.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. I will be seeing my rhuemy in a couple of weeks so I will see what he thinks about fibro. The pain isn't bad more aggrevating w/ the numbness and pins and needles. Which helps distract me from my itchy rashes! lol

Thanks

I personally wouldn't see a chiropractor again, if I were you, until I had an MRI to make sure there isn't a bulging disc or something else that could be made worse. I've seen half a dozen chiropractors in my life, one is really good - but she is very conservative and doesn't claim to be able to cure anything other than joint subluxations. Many are quacks who charge desperate people a lot of money for useless treatments.

It sounds like your chiro used a TENS unit (a legitimate electrical device for treating pain and relaxing muscles) and ultrasound (also legitimate and used a lot in physical therapy). What rubs me the wrong way about his treatment is that his remarks about your head and shoulders - like he is blaming you for his frustration. Did he do any x-rays or neurological testing before he started cranking on your neck? If not, you might want to proceed with great caution with him.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gizmo For This Useful Post:

n.mac (08-26-2011), steve.b (08-27-2011)

Thanks

My chiropractor told me that sometimes they can help, sometimes they can cause problems to be worse and sometimes they can do nothing. He is a friend of mine so he keeps it real and I know isn't in it for the money because my insurance copay is so high we don't go through my insurance and he only charges me $20 a visit which is less than his regular cash patients. I have major issues with my neck and head and actually what helped is my hubby looked up reflexology and has massaged my feet mainly the toe areas and it has helped a lot.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolehinkel For This Useful Post:

Gizmo (08-28-2011), n.mac (08-28-2011)